When rebooting machine often network won't work but sometimes it does

thierrybla

Apr 15, 2019
Hey people,

I noticed recently that my network sometimes doesn't work when I reboot my machine I run it headless with GPU passthrough but I can see when my GPU VM boots up onto a screen (Windows 10) I can see that the network is just not working and therefor it's not showing the Proxmox GUI either.

I also noticed that if I reboot the machine again, or mutliple times in some cases it will eventually work.. I am clueless.
My machine has 2 network ports with a "bond0 (linux bond)" with "active-backup" enabled between "eth0" and "eth1" with bond primary being "eth1" since it is a 2.5Gb/s port.

I tried to mess around with my network config file but I can't seem to find the issue, I will attach the network file and a screenshot of the network options in de GUI.

FYI: I set everything to DHCP and put a static IP for the machine in my PFsense router.

Thanks in advance for all the help, it's extremely frustrating.

Greetings

Attachments

• interfaces.txt
    872 bytes · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 8
FYI: I set everything to DHCP and put a static IP for the machine in my PFsense router.
* Proxmox VE expects to have a static IP - thus dhcp is not really supported (although in theory setting a static lease and having the proper entries in DNS+/etc/hosts might work)
* still: you want to set dhcp only on the bridge interface, not on the ethernet port, not on the bond

for example on a virtual test-machine:
Code:
auto ens19
iface ens19 inet manual

auto ens20
iface ens20 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
    bond-slaves ens19 ens20
    bond-miimon 100
    bond-mode active-backup
    bond-primary ens19

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp
    bridge-ports bond0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

could work

I hope this helps!

* Proxmox VE expects to have a static IP - thus dhcp is not really supported (although in theory setting a static lease and having the proper entries in DNS+/etc/hosts might work)
* still: you want to set dhcp only on the bridge interface, not on the ethernet port, not on the bond

for example on a virtual test-machine:
Code:
auto ens19
iface ens19 inet manual

auto ens20
iface ens20 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
    bond-slaves ens19 ens20
    bond-miimon 100
    bond-mode active-backup
    bond-primary ens19

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp
    bridge-ports bond0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

could work

I hope this helps!
Hey Stoiko,

Thanks for your reply, I used this method before (static Ip's on everything) but I had the same problem, upon reboot it just doesn't work untill I reboot it a couple of times and then it would work eventually.

I have a feeling it might be a problem with something else, do you know any other reason why it would behave like this?

P.S. My ETH0 is Intel and my ETH1 is Realtek, could that be a problem?

Thanks in advance!

, do you know any other reason why it would behave like this?
not by the description alone - but I'd suggest to check the system-journal after booting (`journalctl -b`) - most issues should be visible there

My ETH0 is Intel and my ETH1 is Realtek, could that be a problem?
In theory an active-passive bond should work with different ethernet NICs - in practice I have run into quite a few issues with various NICs, and realtek specifically has caused some troubles for me.

Maybe it's the 2,5gb/s link.

What i mean is, on my intel x550 (10gb/s) nic, it took quite long and sometimes i had to trigger myself the autonegotiation to get the 2,5gb/s link up.
That time i had only a 2,5gb/s switch.

Once i switched up to 10gb/s, it worked instantly and with 1gb/s too. Just the 2,5gb/s took quite long.

Maybe you have an similar issue.

But you can check that, if you fix the linkspeed.
(On my side the x550 didn't supported the fixed 2,5gb/s step that time, only 1 & 10gb/s were fixable and 2,5gb/s worked only through autonegotiation)
But that's the only idea i have.

And keep in mind, it was my issue, doesn't means that it is your issue either.

Cheers

Maybe it's the 2,5gb/s link.

What i mean is, on my intel x550 (10gb/s) nic, it took quite long and sometimes i had to trigger myself the autonegotiation to get the 2,5gb/s link up.
That time i had only a 2,5gb/s switch.

Once i switched up to 10gb/s, it worked instantly and with 1gb/s too. Just the 2,5gb/s took quite long.

Maybe you have an similar issue.

But you can check that, if you fix the linkspeed.
(On my side the x550 didn't supported the fixed 2,5gb/s step that time, only 1 & 10gb/s were fixable and 2,5gb/s worked only through autonegotiation)
But that's the only idea i have.

And keep in mind, it was my issue, doesn't means that it is your issue either.

Cheers
Thanks for your input, very interesting.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!