Proxmox (on ZFS) refuses to boot after the latest kernel upgrade

@fabian, thank you for the packages! Please find the boot log attached below and tell me if you need anything else!

Attachments

• boot log.log
    6.2 KB · Views: 24
@fabian, thank you for the packages! Please find the boot log attached below and tell me if you need anything else!

that seems rather strange, it seems to fail when reading the root block pointer. could you do the following:
re-run the "ls" in grub to get the current DVA values, the following line directly before the checksum verification fails:
Code:
fs/zfs/zfs.c:301: zio_read_data: bp DVA: 8 13005bb90 / 8 9418 / 8 188001ac0

now, without importing the pool, reboot in the installer rescue shell and run the following (replacing all three DVA offsets with the numbers obtained in Grub):
Code:
for offset in 13005bb90 9418 188001ac0; do zdb -e -R rpool 0:$(python3 -c "print(hex(0x$offset << 9))"):800 > out_$offset; done

save the resulting out_* files and post them here together with the new logs.

It happened to me too (third time...) on my testserver, HP DL120 G7.

This one is running on 2 x 4TB drives.
Another one runs on smaller < 2Tb drives, no problems yet.

Any hint on what is the cause? Or how to create a boot USB to get it on its feet again?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!