Yes, I am getting video output from the GPU directly using a DisplayPort cable, VNC gives an error and does not connect.

Yes I tried a bare metal install of Windows prior to Proxmox, the drivers installed and I was running games such as Minecraft and Darksiders 2.
VNC is supposed to give you an error if you have a GPU passed through. So that's good.

I don't have an AMD GPU so I can't check myself. But I found this thread which describes a similar issue.

Could you report back here when you fix the issue so that we can update the guide?

VNC is supposed to give you an error if you have a GPU passed through. So that's good.

I don't have an AMD GPU so I can't check myself. But I found this thread which describes a similar issue.

Could you report back here when you fix the issue so that we can update the guide?
I'm at work at the moment, I'll test it out as soon as I can and report back.

@MichaelBernasconi I disabled rebar to no avail. I've attached relevant files from my configuration, let me know if I've gone wrong somewhere. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• pvesh.txt
    73.3 KB · Views: 9
  • lsmod.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 3
  • blacklist.txt
    34 bytes · Views: 3
  • 100.txt
    854 bytes · Views: 8
@MichaelBernasconi I disabled rebar to no avail. I've attached relevant files from my configuration, let me know if I've gone wrong somewhere. Thank you for your time.
Have you tried checking the "Primary GPU" checkbox? I know the thread I sent previously says to not check it but I wonder if that might be the issue.
Other than that I don't have any ideas.

Have you tried checking the "Primary GPU" checkbox? I know the thread I sent previously says to not check it but I wonder if that might be the issue.
Other than that I don't have any ideas.
Okay so a lot happened in the past 4 hours

1. I updated Proxmox
2. I put my build into a case (during which I unplugged and replugged my GPU and changed the DP port)
3. I changed a setting in the BIOS to use the internal GPU (although I'm not doing anything with its port)
4. I updated Windows
5. Changed it to Primary GPU

I booted in and it was still broken but after a couple of minutes the screen went blank then came back in 2k and with the GPU recognized..

I have no idea what did it.

Okay so a lot happened in the past 4 hours

1. I updated Proxmox
2. I put my build into a case (during which I unplugged and replugged my GPU and changed the DP port)
3. I changed a setting in the BIOS to use the internal GPU (although I'm not doing anything with its port)
4. I updated Windows
5. Changed it to Primary GPU

I booted in and it was still broken but after a couple of minutes the screen went blank then came back in 2k and with the GPU recognized..

I have no idea what did it.
simply because windows just downloaded and installed the display driver.

the easiest way i do everytime will be boot in windows with a standard display, then enabled rdp, shutdown windows and passthrough display card, boot in windows and connect with RDP, and setup the display driver. after display driver is installed you may remove the promox standard display.

simply because windows just downloaded and installed the display driver.

the easiest way i do everytime will be boot in windows with a standard display, then enabled rdp, shutdown windows and passthrough display card, boot in windows and connect with RDP, and setup the display driver. after display driver is installed you may remove the promox standard display.
It could be.

But my process does not match yours, my card passed and showed visual without needing to RDP, Any attempt to install a driver by AMD results in an error that says that it can't find AMD hardware, which is correct since I do not see the card in Device Manager.

All I remember is that when I had Windows ISO image as first and it said press any key to boot, it would load and then just stop before booting the installation sequence. However, when I switched it to second line it seemed to roll through the install. Not sure why but worth a try.
I am running an AMD Ryzen 2700 with a B350 MB - if that matters at all. I added the parameters back to my running VM and it instantly shows the same BSOD on boot. I'll go back through my other settings - but it seems anytime Windows 11 tries to load it crashes with those params.

Last edited:
All I remember is that when I had Windows ISO image as first and it said press any key to boot, it would load and then just stop before booting the installation sequence. However, when I switched it to second line it seemed to roll through the install. Not sure why but worth a try.
OK I tried several things... no success so far. I created a new VM and found one place where I missed setting the CPU to host. Fixed that in the new VM - Result = BSOD.
The Windows ISO was the second on the boot order so I switched it to first - Result = BSOD
I changed the CD ROM device type from IDE to SATA - Result BSOD
I removed the CD-ROM and added a USB stick with Windows 11 - result BSOD.

I am trying the very latest Windows 11 and it installs fine if I take off the first three args.

Config
args: -cpu host,-hypervisor,kvm=off, -smbios type=0,vendor="American Megatrends Inc.",version=F50d,date="07/02/2020"
bios: ovmf
boot: order=sata0;usb2
cores: 4
cpu: host,hidden=1
efidisk0: aleera-data:vm-1053-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
hostpci0: 0000:07:00.0,pcie=1,x-vga=1
hostpci1: 0000:07:00.1,pcie=1
machine: pc-q35-8.1
memory: 8192
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.2,ctime=1702694359
name: AleeraPC
net0: e1000=BC:24:11:B1:66:3D,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win11
sata0: aleera-data:vm-1053-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=1900G
scsihw: lsi
smbios1: uuid=031b021c-040d-05e6-ca06-740700080009,manufacturer=R2lnYWJ5dGUgVGVjaG5vbG9neSBDby4sIEx0ZC4=,product=QUIzNTBNLUdhbWluZyAz,family=QjM1MCBNQg==,base64=1
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: aleera-data:vm-1053-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
usb0: host=413c:2105
usb1: host=1532:0099
usb2: host=24a9:205a
vmgenid: bb86b43d-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Attachments

• IMG_1230.png
    IMG_1230.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

can you try passthrough all function instead of 2 split?

also i will remove this

smbios1: uuid=031b021c-040d-05e6-ca06-740700080009,manufacturer=R2lnYWJ5dGUgVGVjaG5vbG9neSBDby4sIEx0ZC4=,product=QUIzNTBNLUdhbWluZyAz,family=QjM1MCBNQg==,base64=1

to only
smbios1: uuid=031b021c-040d-05e6-ca06-740700080009

and comment out this line for testing
#args: -cpu host,-hypervisor,kvm=off, -smbios type=0,vendor="American Megatrends Inc.",version=F50d,date="07/02/2020"

this is mine for your reference purposes only
1702998756590.png

Last edited:
and to make the system think i am not using VM, below is the line i used:

Code:
args: -cpu 'host,-hypervisor,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,kvm=off,hv_vendor_id=intel'

and i must correct you that, if you think Task Manager show Vitualization enabled, your understanding is incorrect. in my bare metal system wihout proxmox, it is also showing enabled.

this below was from you.
1702999183899.png

and this below is from my bare metal without proxmox.
1702999263352.png

OK I tried several things... no success so far. I created a new VM and found one place where I missed setting the CPU to host. Fixed that in the new VM - Result = BSOD.
The Windows ISO was the second on the boot order so I switched it to first - Result = BSOD
I changed the CD ROM device type from IDE to SATA - Result BSOD
I removed the CD-ROM and added a USB stick with Windows 11 - result BSOD.

I am trying the very latest Windows 11 and it installs fine if I take off the first three args.

Config
args: -cpu host,-hypervisor,kvm=off, -smbios type=0,vendor="American Megatrends Inc.",version=F50d,date="07/02/2020"
bios: ovmf
boot: order=sata0;usb2
cores: 4
cpu: host,hidden=1
efidisk0: aleera-data:vm-1053-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
machine: pc-q35-8.1
memory: 8192
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.2,ctime=1702694359
name: AleeraPC
net0: e1000=BC:24:11:B1:66:3D,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win11
sata0: aleera-data:vm-1053-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=1900G
scsihw: lsi
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: aleera-data:vm-1053-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
usb0: host=413c:2105
usb1: host=1532:0099
usb2: host=24a9:205a
vmgenid: bb86b43d-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK after a little more testing it will not boot with

cpu: host

I'm not sure if it's the AMD Ryzen 7 2700 or the older B350 MB - but something is not working. Since I DID get the GPU passthrough working with the 3060 using that old CPU I will upgrade it to a newer 5900x. the 2700 would bottleneck a 3060 without also acting as a server so it's getting the upgrade and I'll see if the config option above works. I'm not really planning on using this one for games that have anti-cheat so it should be fine.

did you try this?

Code:
args: -cpu 'host,-hypervisor,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,kvm=off,hv_vendor_id=intel'
See my post above... it won't boot with

cpu: host

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!