i am so sorry, my bad, that args was meant for Intel.

i dont have AMD.... sorryI
It's just changing Intel to AMD so the help is good, but since it won't even take the cpu line the args don't matter LOL. Others have had success with AMD so I'm hoping a CPU upgrade will do the trick.

Whenever I use this line of parameters, if I use hypervisor=off, [FONT=Microsoft YaHei]args: -cpu 'host,-hypervisor,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,kvm=off,hv_vendor_id=intel'[/FONT]Windows will blue screen directly. The blue screen error is as follows. Did I do something wrong1703053167384.png

Whenever I use this line of parameters, if I use hypervisor=off, [FONT=Microsoft YaHei]args: -cpu 'host,-hypervisor,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,kvm=off,hv_vendor_id=intel'[/FONT]Windows will blue screen directly. The blue screen error is as follows. Did I do something wrongView attachment 60105
I am seeing this as well - but for me it appears to be the line

cpu: host,hidden=1

I have to use a a CPU type of x86-64-v2-AES - but that seems to identify the machine as a VM to windows.

I am running an older AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU - not an Intel so this could be a little different - but seems related to Windows and CPU capability identification.

我也看到了这一点——但对我来说,这似乎是一条线

CPU:主机,隐藏=1

我必须使用 x86-64-v2-AES 的 CPU 类型 - 但这似乎将机器识别为 Windows 的 VM。

我运行的是较旧的 AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU——不是 Intel,所以这可能有点不同——但似乎与 Windows 和 CPU 功能识别有关。
我将同一台虚拟机备份到另一台使用 AMD R5 3600 的主机,使用相同的参数后,它正常启动并正常运行。但 AMD 主机没有使用 ZFS 作为 root。不知道有没有对客系统有什么影响。

+1 I am also getting the same bluescreen. After starting the VM I get the "Press any key too boot from CD or DVD" text, I press a key, am shown the Proxmox logo for a second or two and insta-blue screen. Never been able to actually get the OS installed.

I am using Intel CPUs (seems most above are on AMD). Xeon E5-2630L v2's to be specific.

Following here since I am trying to do the same.

Adding this Line to args: -smbios type=0,vendor="American Megatrends Inc.",version=1903,date="08/30/2023" gives me a QEUMU error on start up. If I delete this with the kvm off etc. It starts up but is still showing a virtual machine. Any ideas?

swtpm_setup: Not overwriting existing state file.
kvm: type=0,vendor=American Megatrends Inc.,version=1903,date=08/30/2023: Could not open 'type=0,vendor=American Megatrends Inc.,version=1903,date=08/30/2023': No such file or directory
stopping swtpm instance (pid 53071) due to QEMU startup error
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1
Hey bro I am suffering the same shit as well; my error code being

kvm: ../hw/pci/pci.c:1637: pci_irq_handler: Assertion `0 <= irq_num && irq_num < PCI_NUM_PINS' failed.
stopping swtpm instance (pid 19091) due to QEMU startup error

I am trying to PCI passthrough my 5700xt to my windows VM, if you have any idea how to resolve this I'll thank you so much

When exactly does it crash? When you boot from the ISO or once windows is installed and you try to boot the windows install? Do you get any other error messages that might help debug the problem?

Could you post the full "args" line you used? Or maybe the full config?
OK - I have things working now!

It was most likely related to to the OLD AMD Ryzen 5 1700 CPU I was using... I knew I wanted to upgrade the CPU - just waiting for the right sale. I picked up and installed an AMD Ryzen 9 5900x and now everything is working fine as per your excellent instructions!

Thanks for documenting this as it made my experimentation and implementation so much easier!

Hey I am having the BSOD issue after updating from Windows 22H2 to Windows 23H2! So the windows update has definitely broke something for us all! Any ideas?

iv been using ur config just fine, but today after i shut down my proxmox computer, once i booted again, i started to get a BSOD on my vm using windows11 which is SYSTEM THREAT EXCEPTION NOT HANDLE, after a few trials n errors i narrow it down to remove the -hypervisor flag from the args line, but when i do that, windows detects the system as a virtual machine, i dont know why this started to happen all of a sudden, if it was working just fine, can u help me get it back to normal? :-( @MichaelBernasconi

Hey bro I am suffering the same shit as well; my error code being

kvm: ../hw/pci/pci.c:1637: pci_irq_handler: Assertion `0 <= irq_num && irq_num < PCI_NUM_PINS' failed.
stopping swtpm instance (pid 19091) due to QEMU startup error

I am trying to PCI passthrough my 5700xt to my windows VM, if you have any idea how to resolve this I'll thank you so much
Did you manage to solve this problem? I've had the same problem for a week and I can't fix it.

@MichaelBernasconi First off thank you for this thorough tutorial. it almost went flawless for me. My setup is:
Ryzen 7 5700G
MSI x570 Gaming Edge Wifi
XFX rx 6950xt

After installation i checked device manager and there was an error code 12 for my gpu and I have no audio device available. tried installing amd gpu auto detect drivers and it failed. Rebooted after Windows updates and error 12 disappeared but still have no audio. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thank you

Thank you so much for this tutorial! It worked flawlessly for me. Although I have not tested any anti-cheat software yet, Windows indeed does not recognize it is a VM and everything works (mostly) as expected. I'm using Windows 11 64-bit on Proxmox VE v8.1.4 with an RTX 2070 Super GPU and AMD Ryzen 5800X.

A number of additional observations:
  1. Boot time is inconsistent. Sometimes Windows boots near-instantaneously, sometimes the Proxmox logo seems to hang for a while before going to a black screen and only then booting into Windows (indicating by loading circle under Proxmox logo). In rare cases the VM hangs completely during boot with 100% CPU usage (8 cores). I have not been able to reliably reproduce the patterns, but it looks like the hardware configuration has something to do with it (other PCIe passthorugh devices).
  2. I have 0 issues with USB passthrough. Whether I passthrough a device, port, or the whole controller everything works as expected. In particular, everything keeps working when unplugging. The only exception is that sometimes the VM hangs when a driver install resets the USB device (noticed once when passing through a device by ID).
  3. After Windows has been installed, I can re-enable the IOMMU groups and passthrough only the GPU as Primary GPU, PCI-Express, with All functions. This works as expected and does show Windows it is a VM as far as I can tell. The GPU audio device is also automatically enabled and appears to be working.
  4. I have found no way to wake the Windows VM from sleep other than through the ProxmoxVE GUI. This is a little annoying, but not game-breaking. PVE GUI control of ACPI events (Shutdown, Hibernate, etc.) seems to work well out-of-the-box.
  5. Although the benchmarks check out, there is a degree of latency to the system that is hard to place. It feels as if the CPU is pegged at 100% sometimes (it is not, and could hardly be on a 5800X when doing nothing). It feels like it could also be an IO bottleneck, but the VM disk is stored on a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe SSD, so that shouldn't be the case.
  6. This method (not sure if the Intel E1000 virtual adapter is to blame) incurs a serious network performance penalty for the VM. I get about 50% of my normal internet bandwidth (500 Mbit/s instead of 1Gbit/s down, upload is better but very inconsistent) and 2ms-10ms additional latency. I tested this with fast.com.
Happy to hear other people's experiences.

EDIT: The IOMMU re-grouping magically stopped working. Out of the blue starting the Windows VM would nuke the physical network interface of PVE, requiring a hard reset. I cannot get it to work anymore with the IOMMU groups intact. Nothing changed on my end except a couple of hours of internet outage. Weird...

Last edited:
@MichaelBernasconi First off thank you for this thorough tutorial. it almost went flawless for me. My setup is:
Ryzen 7 5700G
MSI x570 Gaming Edge Wifi
XFX rx 6950xt

After installation i checked device manager and there was an error code 12 for my gpu and I have no audio device available. tried installing amd gpu auto detect drivers and it failed. Rebooted after Windows updates and error 12 disappeared but still have no audio. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thank you

Are you blacklisting the audio device module as well? You need to do that as well. Chek the Configuring the GPU for passthrough section at this link for instructions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!