DataCollector

Feb 13, 2023
Denmark
Hello Forum

I have searched the forum for an answer for about a month now, but I am unable to find one, or a similar solution to my problem.
Recently I made the decision to migrate to Proxmox as hypervisor after using VMware since 2012.
It goes very well. I’ve got an LXC container running and the virtual machines I make, works fine.
I'm even surprised with the speed of Proxmox vs VMware. My virtual machnes seems faster on Proxmox.

My issue is, on my virtual machines, I give them a virtual network card that’s VLAN tagged to the first physical nic. And all the VLANs here works just fine.

But when I add a second virtual network on my vm, were the network is vlan tagged on vmbr1 thats on the second physical nic, I am unable to get network connectivity on that interface.
The proxmox host is able to ping out, using that second physical nic with no issues.
So I think my problem is with the vmbr1 somewere, I just donw know where.
vmbr1 is created with the same properties as vmbr0, just without assigning an IP address as that is not needed here.

I am sure its just some simple thing I am missing, that’s why I am reaching out for help.

Config on my proxmox host and a ping test to a network device on the other side of the physical switch:
2023-02-21 12_12_49-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.png
2023-02-21 12_11_40-mRemoteNG - Frands.xml - Proxmox.png 2023-02-21 12_12_10-mRemoteNG - Frands.xml - Proxmox.png

On a virtual machine with a second network added:
2023-02-21 12_12_27-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.png
2023-02-21 12_15_30-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.png

The documentation and other on this forum are talking about making a vmbr using example: “vmbr1.100”
But the GUI is not allowing me to create a Linux bridge with that naming.

This is the last peace I need to get working in order to, shut down my last VMware host for good.

I am comfortable with using the Linux command line and are not afraid of testing things.
This is really bugging me out. I know I am missing something embarrassing simple, but I have no idea why.

Sorry if this is a double post and sorry for the spellng.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!