Storage Help - Proxmox Newbie

KyalDark

Sep 20, 2020
Hi all,

Extremely new to proxmox and have never really used Linux before.

I've got two physical machines that I've put together in a cluster, although when configuring them I've accidentally put one on ZFS storage and one to whatever the default is.

I've been able to setup vms on my server with ZFS storage but I can't seem to install anything on the other machine. Do I need to wipe both and start all over again? I had to wipe both machines before as my cluster configuration was wrong the first time and I couldn't change it without a full reinstall.

This is machine i can't install vms on (default file system)

1600575804795.png

This is machine I can (ZFS Raid0)

1600575856598.png

All the different storage options are confusing me and stopping me from progressing further.

Any help at all would be useful.

Once a node joins the cluster, its local configuration is wiped. This means, the cluster configuration is used and in your case it appears that the non ZFS node joined the ZFS node.

Therefore, you now have only the "local-zfs" storage configured and only one node actually has that storage. That's why the node comet has the question mark next to it.

One way to deal with the situation, if you want to have the same storage layout and maybe want to use replication between the nodes, is to remove the node comet from the cluster ( https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_remove_a_cluster_node ) and reinstall it with ZFS.

If you don't need replication and don't want to reinstall that node, you will have to adapt the storage config.

First, you can limit storages to nodes. If you go to the "Datacenter -> Storage" panel you can edit the "local-zfs" storage and select which nodes have that storage.
Secondly, while being connected to the GUI of node comet, add a new storage of the type "lvm-thin". If you want the default values, call it "local-lvm", the dropdown for the volume group should present you with a "pve" and the dropdown for the thin volume should show a "data". Don't forget to limit the storage to the node comet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!