sharing storage for local (ISO,CT templates)/local-lvm(vm backup)

Zaman

Apr 15, 2019
Hello,
I need sharing for more than one Node for sharing (local storage) for ISO,CT Templates to another Nodes without need to SCP or upload it,so
what the preferred Data method to use NFS,Ceph...?supported by proxmox (need to installed on host) or created VM and using like FreeNas and How to?
what best sharing method for backup VMs ?external (inside vm) or internal (inside proxmox host) ,which one and How to ? :)
thanks

I would use NFS for such things.

However lokal and shared can't work together. If this node hosting the ISO and Templates will be down you can't access the data from the other nodes in the cluster.

What do you mean with backup VMs? If you mean storage for backup then i would use NFS. Please think about how to backup. Do you like file level or vm level backups?

I would use NFS for such things.

However lokal and shared can't work together. If this node hosting the ISO and Templates will be down you can't access the data from the other nodes in the cluster.

What do you mean with backup VMs? If you mean storage for backup then i would use NFS. Please think about how to backup. Do you like file level or vm level backups?
Thanks for ur replay,
NFS as Internal or External
Mean of Backup for snapshot/backup vm for proxmox vms, what u mean of file level/vm level :mean blocks/files
if yes look like not recommended for snapshots/if by default for qcow2 format no problem
then how to install NFS ?
thanks

Hi,

I use NFS for the ISOs as well as the backups.

For now, it is an Ubuntu headless server which also runs rsnapshot to get versioned backups of the Proxmox backups(call me meticulous if you like).

There are plenty of guides on how to install NFS on Ubuntu. Those guides should work without issue with Debian too.

A heads up for the ISO NFS share is to make it available to all nodes at the beginning. Just so you get a better understanding of it. You can then be more granular and only permit certain hosts to access the ISOs. I don't know your network or security practices.

Cheers.

We have NetApps to serve NFS. So everything is external HA and shared.
You can backup the whole disk image oder the files in the vm.

I use the raw formal and do the snapshots on the NetApp.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!