Proxmox VE 4.3 released!

The font size change happened from 3.4 to 4.X new theme? Or did my eyes just oversaw a new Change from 4.2 to 4.3?

Yes, PVE 3.x shows 12 rows where 4.x shows only 10.

proxmox-ui-density.png

Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you have to manage a lot of guests, it quickly adds up and you have to scroll a lot more. So I would very much like an option to set font (and list item) size in the new GUI.

Yes, PVE 3.x shows 12 rows where 4.x shows only 10.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you have to manage a lot of guests, it quickly adds up and you have to scroll a lot more. So I would very much like an option to set font (and list item) size in the new GUI.

Ahh yes, the problem was even worse with the default theme, I already made it a bit smaller for, IIRC, 4.1 else it was really bad. Making it even more smaller looked a bit crammed, so I tried finding a middle way.

FYI, the CSS class affecting this is .x-grid-cell-inner-treecolumn

Code:
.x-grid-cell-inner-treecolumn {
  padding: 4px 0px 3px;
}

For you you could set it to:

Code:
  padding: 1px 0px 1px;
}

I had the idea that we could test if a certain user CSS file which a user can make exists, if it does we include it then. There a user can make small changes to the GUI which then won't get lost during an update and show up on all hosts he uses to access the webinterface.

Reactions: morph027
Ahh yes, the problem was even worse with the default theme, I already made it a bit smaller for, IIRC, 4.1 else it was really bad. Making it even more smaller looked a bit crammed, so I tried founding a middle way.

FYI, the CSS class affecting this is .x-grid-cell-inner-treecolumn

Code:
  padding: 4px 0px 3px;
}

For you you could set it to:

Code:
  padding: 1px 0px 1px;
}

I had the idea that we could test if a certain user CSS file which a user can make exists, if it does we include it then. There a user can make small changes to the GUI which then won't get lost during an update and show up on all hosts he uses to access the webinterface.

isn't this already solved on the browser side using various extensions?

isn't this already solved on the browser side using various extensions?

The difference is that with browser extensions everybody which uses the interface has to do it on all his clients.
On the other side an advantage of the browser extension usage would be that each user can customize it for himself for his taste/usage.

But yes, forgot to mention browser extensions where you can do this already in a quite sane way, thanks for the reminder :)

personal taste != issue, and constructive critic is something else, IMHO. You merely rant and scold at PVE, mixed with some not bad critic, but that got already addressed by us in the last commits. So its not that we did not value your posts.

I said I didn't like it as it was a totally unconventional layout that no one else uses. I suggested that you should look at a theme manager so new themes could be introduced to test.

What else can I say ?

... its here...
And see my bug, as I said above which you choose to ignore. I didn't ask to change it back did I ? I was not so stupid as to fall into that trap because I knew what your reaction would be. So I very carefully suggested a theme manager as an enhancement, and where the files were so *I* could look at them.... so please, get your facts right first.

You're quite patronizing here, or do I misinterpret this? I mean d.csapak took quite some time being understanding and to explain the reasons, that besides usability it had technical reasons (big code cleanup, which means less maintaining work in the future), and you just talk him down like if he is/ we are stupid and if we just followed your personal taste everything would be better...

I'm sorry if you feel it is patronising as it was not meant to be. It was fair level criticism, and with suggestions for improvements. I just get the feeling round here that unless we all jump and say we love it you are not interested. Any form of criticisms or comments are taken as an insult and rubbished. Some of the things you have said to me I COULD take very personally, but I don't. This is design, development, usability etc. Nothing personal. Just the facts.

I have nothing to do with the vertical menu layout and was in fact confronted by it when I cam back from vacation.
First naturally its a change so I needed a few minutes to accommodate my navigation, but for me it was an improvement after that.

We are all different. I have tried it for several hours, and for me it just gets worse and worse. Even after all that time I still couldn't work out where I was half the time. I just ended up swearing more and more. Although the old system was far from perfect, it was a well known layout format that 99.9999999% of the population are used to. It was comfortable despite its imperfections.

Investing weeks in providing ten other themes and then another few weeks per year maintaining those seems to me like time better invested in real problems, that's the real point we try to make.
Just dirty hacking in another theme once is surely doable :)

I never said that you should develop multiple themes - stop putting words in my mouth please.

I said that the ability to switch themes would be good. If you are using themes then they should not be affecting the underlying code, should they ? Themes were just a way of changing the look and feel WITHOUT changing the operation. That was always the point about separation of deign and content.

As an aside, if you stick to using themes correctly without affecting core code then you may find people would be more interested in modding them for others trying different colouring etc. Surely that would be a good thing for Proxmox ?

You can also try developing 'A' new theme (not multiple) without affecting the current version and possibly get more feedback from your users. Your current move is more akin to M$ dumping Windows 8 Metro on every user with no choice. That wasn't exactly popular either.

You can also then say 'this is the supported theme - old ones will not be maintained and may lose functionality'

Is that all so stupid ?

I can relate to your frustration, but you maybe also sense that we feel a bit the same here, so maybe you can relate to ours here too.

I am sorry but you just come across as angry that anyone has dared to challenge a decision you have made and totally intransigent. You have tried to justify your decision, and ignored or misinterpreted my comments.

I didn't need to search long :) Against FreeNAS 10 we're quite conservative, but I guess they more configurable your product is the more you have problems with displaying the options in a sane way :)

This is a false analogy - I believe both of those use left column flyouts (which also aren't that pretty but are used quite a bit and people understand them) But they are NOT a fixed double column which is what you have.

Hey ho. I give up. You win. I'm off on holiday.

Rgds
John

Otoh, we all (perhaps even you) are quite used to so many other (maybe unrelated) open source projects that usually post blog articles in advance, describing ideas about future changes, for discussion, maybe polls, maybe alpha or beta versions, and then asking users some feedback. This is quite common, elsewhere, in particular about UI, since that U stand for Users, I guess.

I do not completely agree with him, but I can understand how @reetp feels, and I would have given up earlier...
and just to add to my post a real example, here is a nice thing to see in a support forum...

https://discussions.vtiger.com/index.php?p=/discussion/182220/7-0-wishlist

Of course you get too much feedback, perhaps, too many requests, doing like this, but at least you reach your real users, not just developers, and 6 months before release, to hear if you're missing something... I can tell you that I liked this!

I'm quite old here, and I can remember more than one discussion that seemed to go wrong (and thus not constructive) for what I felt as an "attitude", that comes out often when a user criticizes some "user-related" aspect... fortunately proxmox support team is growing, and I can recognize that @thomas, eg, put a good attitude in his posts here, much better than I saw in the past... thanks for that, Thomas.

Now, back to work...

As soon as I get our new server up and running on 4.2, a day later 4.3 is released. :(

I hope the upgrade process is fairly easy, and by easy, I mean I hope it doesn't break any of my VMs.

As soon as I get our new server up and running on 4.2, a day later 4.3 is released. :(

I hope the upgrade process is fairly easy, and by easy, I mean I hope it doesn't break any of my VMs.
Should not be a problem :) We upgraded a lot of servers, and two clusters.

When you run an installation from a USB memory, the command: chroot /mnt sbin/unconfigured.sh, to continue the installation

it does not work for this version

regards

Eduardo

hi first of all I want to congratulate you Proxmox a product of respect .... it is the first time that I approach to virtualization and would like to continue with your products.
unfortunately I do not know the linux system and I find difficult the configuration steps:
I want to create a virtual machine with installed windows 2008 and win7 systems with a nas as openmediavault ... the problem that I find and that I can not add new HD 2tb to openmediavault for backup copies.
how to do??? help
sorry for my english
thank you

the disks are seen in the node as photos. how to make them available to the virtual machines through the web interface you can ?? and how??
5flp9t.png

the disks are seen in the node as photos. how to make them available to the virtual machines through the web interface you can ?? and how??
5flp9t.png
Looks like an OpenmediaVault problem to me so your best option for help on this is to turn to the OpenmediaVault community.

MIR
apologize for incorrectly formulated question.
I do not understand the procedure for making available the hd to any of the virtual machines, Proxmox sees them but I can not use them ... How?
Thank you

Scenario: You have some disks in OpenmediaVault you would like proxmox to use so your first problem is how to instruct OpenmediaVault to expose these disks to proxmox. Therefore this is an OpenmediaVault problem and not a proxmox problem.

Scenario: You have some disks in OpenmediaVault you would like proxmox to use so your first problem is how to instruct OpenmediaVault to expose these disks to proxmox. Therefore this is an OpenmediaVault problem and not a proxmox problem.

no excuse I can not use the discs even in windows 2008, my problem and I do not understand how to make them visible to virtual machines ..
sorry

if you want to make the complete disk available to a vm
see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Physical_disk_to_kvm
caution: the vm is the only one who can use the disk then

if you want to create virtual disks, you have to create either an lvm volume group, or a partitition and filesystem and add it as a storage
please see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model
especially the links at the bottom

sorry
I followed the instructions provided in the link ( https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Physical_disk_to_kvm.) the new disc is seen in the hardware of the virtual machine windows2008 with all its 2tb, while Windows does not detect it and do not find it even in disk management, even after system reboot
regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!