spongebob

Dec 15, 2020
I have been using ESXI for 5 years now on a 2011 mac mini with no issues. The setup is:

- Dual NIC (one on board, one thunderbolt adapter)
- One NIC is dedicated to WAN
- The other NIC goes to a managed switch in a trunk port that has 3 VLANS + untagged for LAN
- The switch connects to a unifi AP that supports VLANs and has multiple SSIDs

Since I wanted to upgrade the mac mini to build a NAS (needed those SATA connectors) and the mini was getting old, I decided to build a custom "pseudo low power" PC with a new AMD Ryzen 3, 32G ram and other goodies. I also decided to migrate away from ESXI into Proxmox.

The problem started when I tried to migrate Pfsense to Proxmox. I started by reading all the recommendations and created a linux bridge with VLAN aware enabled. Then I created a single network adapter on the VM (I had a single nic) in VirtIO mode. The NIC had no VLAN selected as I wanted to pass them tagged to Pfsense. The other slight config change was that WAN was now a new VLAN instead of a different NIC. I did restore the same working configuration (minus the interface remap) into the box and the first thing I observed was that inter VLAN routing was not working. Fired up wireshark and I was seeing that the SYN packets were sent and received on the other end, the SYN-ACK was sent back but the other end was simply ignoring it. Digging a bit more I did see some strange 6 extra bytes at the end of the frame called VSS-Monitoring trailer.

SYN-ACK VSS-Monitoring.png

I started reading about it, and it seems that people always got rid of it by swapping a NIC. Since this was a virtual NIC I decided to try the intel E1000. After swapping that, the problem went away and I had a working setup.

The next problem was that my internet suddenly stopped working after around one hour. The solution was to reboot the internet modem and it will do the same thing after a while. The incredible thing was that pings to the internet were working just fine, even DNS lookups, but traffic will simply stall.

Since this was not usable, I decided to purchase a PCIE NIC and attached that to the VM as a new linux bridge for the WAN. So far, this has been working (24 hours later).

Is there anything fundamentally wrong that can cause this? Could Pfsense be at fault on the second case (loss of internet)? I did read a lot about using a VLAN for WAN, and it does seem to work just fine on other setups.

What can be the cause of those VSS-Monitoring bytes on the VirtIO interface type?

Thanks

Thanks @HR40, it seems disappointing to require disabling TSO. VMware does handle vms with it enabled https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2055140

I would imagine that if this setting is enabled but not supported, it would be ignored. (TSO) is enabled now and working with the dual nic. I will try again with VirtualIO over the weekend and TSO disabled at the VM level but enabled on the host

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!