[SOLVED] PBS add NFS Storage

Solarstorm

Jul 16, 2020
Hello,
how can I add an NFS in PBS? I would like PBS to save my PVE on an NFS share on my Synology NAS.

Does PBS only save the system or all integrated hard drives?

greetings

Hi, you can mount the NFS share in Linux and then create a datastore pointing to that directory.
I‘m not quite sure what your second question is, PBS integrated into PVE saves all machines you selected in the backup job as long as the VMs disks have the backup flag set (which is default)

Hi
I've just done that in may lab. I mounted (fstab) nfs share to a local dir :

1.2.3.4:/data/nfs-pbs /mnt/nfs-pbs nfs rw,async,soft,intr,noexec 0 0

and then added it as datastore with this (absolute) path : /mnt/nfs-pbs

.. did not understand what you meant by your question at the end ... PBS saves complete VM/CT .... like PVE backup does

BR
Tonci

Thank you for your help.

For example, I have a VM with Freenas. There I passed a Sata controller on. This is 10TB of storage. Is this memory also backed up?

I also have a VM with Zoneminder. There I added 5TB as a virtual hard drive. The storage comes from a ZFS raid in PVE. Is this memory also backed up?

I just want to back up the systems. The 10TB and 5TB should not be backed up.

greetings

If you backup via PVE just the virtual disks PVE knows about get backed up, not any disks that were mounted inside the VM (like passthrough of a HBA or NFS shares)
If you want to back up those as well you could do that by using the proxmox-backup-client inside the VM; it can back up all directories visible within the VM

Hi
I've just done that in may lab. I mounted (fstab) nfs share to a local dir :

1.2.3.4:/data/nfs-pbs /mnt/nfs-pbs nfs rw,async,soft,intr,noexec 0 0

and then added it as datastore with this (absolute) path : /mnt/nfs-pbs

.. did not understand what you meant by your question at the end ... PBS saves complete VM/CT .... like PVE backup does

BR
Tonci
Hi,

just for my understanding: Do you create the mount @PVE server or on a virtualized PBS itself.

KR
Stephan

Hi,

just for my understanding: Do you create the mount @PVE server or on a virtualized PBS itself.

KR
Stephan
Hi Stephan, I mounted nfs share from/within virtualized PBS itself (to /mnt/nfs... ) and then attached this mount as "directory" store to PBS ... if this is what you meant

yes for sure. But this means the data flow goes from the ZFS whre VM/ CT is located through the PBS VM and then to the nfs store. Am I wrong?
KR
Stephan

Of course no, you're right ! :)but this is very lab-ish scenario just to test nfs share as storage etc. But in real-nfs-storage-scenario data flow always goes first into PBS and then out of PBS towards nfs-share ... there is no direct connection between VM and nfs-share (except PVE-backup vzdump from pve-host to nfs-share, but there is no PBS involved)
BR
Tonci

Hi Tonci,

what does it mean "in real-nfs-storage..."

I would like to do it in my productiv env using PBS but the vzdump should be accessable directly from PVE for teh whole data flow. What ist the right way to configure it?

KR
Stephan

real-nfs-storage scenario means that datastore is somewhere on the network and not being "hardware-part-of-PBS". "By-design" PBS datastore should be local hard-array which means much faster than NAS (nfs-share). But PVE is not aware of PBS datastore types and it only sees PBS as PVE-Storage. PBS handles its datastores by itself , that is why dataflow always goes through PBS . When you attach PBS as "storage" in PVEhost it acts just as regular backup-destination like common nfs-share, directory, cifs-share etc... All your backups targeted to PBS are browsable (in the PVE-gui) like any other common vzdump backups done before. They are actually browsable through PBS ... and PVEhost is not aware where PBS backed it up : nfs-share, local-zfs-pool ... it is all behind PBS and hidden by PBS Hopefully I'm right :)

Hi Stephan, I mounted nfs share from/within virtualized PBS itself (to /mnt/nfs... ) and then attached this mount as "directory" store to PBS ... if this is what you meant
You say you have set up a nfs share in "Directory" oO
Are you sure about this? "Directory" only accepts physical disks, right?

You say you have set up a nfs share in "Directory" oO
Are you sure about this? "Directory" only accepts physical disks, right?
Yes, you're right, this what I did is not this "directory" ... I added new store by entering path to a nfs-moint-point/"directory":1606850495835.png
Sorry for mixing it up with PVE "directory" (Storage) term ...

I have now successfully set up the Proxmox backup server. I can now answer my questions myself. If someone has the same questions, here is the answer:

Only the hard disks that are directly integrated into Proxmox are saved. Hard disks that are connected to a VM via PCI forwarding are not backed up.
For example, if you have a VM with 2 virtual hard disks and only want to back up one of the two hard disks, you have to uncheck Backup in the VM settings under Hardware in the advanced settings. The volume will then not be backed up during a backup job.

Including NFS as storage works but is not secure. If the connection is lost, the backup will fail.

Best regards,
Marcel

Hey guys,
I have this mounted. And can view the folders ect, but cant add files

When I try to add the datastore, I get;

TASK ERROR: EPERM: Operation not permitted

I don't have the NAS locked down to a user, anything from this host should be able to write to it no?
I tried creating a TXT file and then writing to it. But get permissioned denied, so tried giving the root user access, but got this?

chmod: changing permissions of 'VMBackUp': Operation not permitted

Im quite new to Linux

Hey guys,
I have this mounted. And can view the folders ect, but cant add files

When I try to add the datastore, I get;

TASK ERROR: EPERM: Operation not permitted

I don't have the NAS locked down to a user, anything from this host should be able to write to it no?
I tried creating a TXT file and then writing to it. But get permissioned denied, so tried giving the root user access, but got this?

chmod: changing permissions of 'VMBackUp': Operation not permitted

Im quite new to Linux
did you resolve, on how to add nfs to PBS?

I read through this chain to see if this is a viable option. Currently, I have PBS and UnRaid both virtualized in Proxmox. PBS is using a dedicated disk passed through via PVE. I was thinking of changing my setup so my virtualized PBS would use a NFS share (on the virtualized UnRaid) so the backups have redundancy - 2 parity drives in the UnRaid array. Should this work reliably? I'm not concerned about network issues making the NFS share unavailable.

I would not do that. For backup it is better to use a separate hardware instead of a virtual environment.

Regards Marcel

I have multiple PVE hosts and I was planning on the virtualized PBS and virtualized UnRaid both being on the same host. Other PVE hosts with many VMs would point to that virtual PBS with the virtualize UnRaid NFS (on the same host). If any host fails, I could easily recover. The "data" disks in UnRaid store the files in a way that are readable even without UnRaid. I like PBS' functionality of fast backup and data deduplication, etc.

Is there a specific reason to avoid PBS virtualized? This is a home lab - not production.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!