titan.boreal

Jan 19, 2022
TL;DRphoto_2022-01-19_10-56-55.jpg
ZFS RAID1 vs RAIDZ-1?

Hello comrades,
After a long trip with Proxmox 6 its time to move on to 7 now.
Trying a new clean install i found the BTRFS implementation (not interested for now) and an old intrigue that I could never answer.

-Why on the Filesystem options i get options like ZFS (RAID) and ZFS (RAIDZ)?
-What differences i have using ZFS RAID1 vs RAIDZ-1?
-Is any better than the other one to avoid boot errors?

ps:- Why Proxmox only makes ZFSs by Name (sda, sdb, etc.) and not by disk id?

When I select any of them the menu bellow is exactly the same so i couldn't found any clue.

Here i only want 2 "cloned" disk for the main OS.
After installing i usually make some other pool (for LXCs and VMs) by shell to make it by disk id.

Thanks in advance.
Rgrds.-

hi,

-Why on the Filesystem options i get options like ZFS (RAID) and ZFS (RAIDZ)?
-What differences i have using ZFS RAID1 vs RAIDZ-1?
-Is any better than the other one to avoid boot errors?
check our wiki page about zfs on linux [0], you'll find the answers you're looking for.

in general the more redundancy you have in your disks the less chance of losing data to corruption.

ps:- Why Proxmox only makes ZFSs by Name (sda, sdb, etc.) and not by disk id?
do you mean you want to see the disk uuid on the list?

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#_installation_as_root_file_system

Thanks! very useful.
Cannot believe i didint find it there before. I always believe that RAIDZ-1 is the same as RAID-1 but without a proper raid interface.
do you mean you want to see the disk uuid on the list?
Its more like "how the zfs its created" than a "seleccion view".
For example, my old proxmox v6 srv the os "rpool" its created by id.
1642603203720.png

If i created a new pool by Proxmox GUI it gets by SD* example:
1642603176546.png

So if i want to create a pool by disk id to avoid any SD* mixing problem or easier disk error troubleshooting i have to created by shell zpool create [PoolName] -o ashift=12 raidz2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_W... /dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_H... /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_W... /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST1000...
1642603334152.png

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!