[SOLVED] Fibre Channel Storage - FREENAS

Norberto Iannicelli

May 9, 2016
Hello team, it's a pleasure to talk to you.
I've been researching on what I need and I found what I was looking for so I am here.

Whenever my storage falls my virtual machines lose connection with the disc.
My storage consists of a FreeNAS using QLE24xx plates, the servers where I have also installed Proxmox have these qle24xx plates connected to a switch brocade ds5000b, I have a SAN.

For virtual machines back to have connection to the storage have to turn off and then turn on the vm again to be able to get access again.

My doubt is this, is there any place where I can set the timeout for the connection of the disc or anything I can freeze the disk status of vm to my storage back again without I need to turn off my machine and restart again to get access?

Whenever the storage down or restart my virtual machines lose connection to the HD and is generating error I / O.

Sorry for my BAD english.

Attachments

• io.png
    io.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 37
Do you use LVM for the SAN backed LUNs? Normally you can set a timeout within the FC HBA driver to queue the packages. I'd suggest to increase the queue length or depth. Normally, you do not have these problems - at least not in the SAN environments I work with. You have dual-controller, multie pathes to the blade/rack with no single point of failure.

I do not understand where FreeNAS is used as a storage and what this has to do with a SAN. You can use a SAN without FreeNAS in between directly in Proxmox. Heck, you can even cluster it together to shared-storage HA cluster with 3 nodes.

I am very grateful for his return.
My knowledge is not very advanced and I opted for FreeNAS. But you told me that I can have a cluster storage, and it seems very good.
The cluster has to be heterogeneous?

Yes, i have one QLE dual port and 2 switch brocade ds5000b
I have 3 dell servers in 2950 and 6 MD1000, I create 3 groups.
Do you have a link to a tutorial where I can perform these studies?

My sincere thanks.

I am very grateful for his return.
My knowledge is not very advanced and I opted for FreeNAS. But you told me that I can have a cluster storage, and it seems very good.
The cluster has to be heterogeneous?

Yes, i have one QLE dual port and 2 switch brocade ds5000b
I have 3 dell servers in 2950 and 6 MD1000, I create 3 groups.
Do you have a link to a tutorial where I can perform these studies?

My sincere thanks.

If I read this correctly, the MD1000 is a DAS (directly-attached-storage) box without any logic, right? That's not going to do for a HA setup. If you loose the connection to the DAS, the connection is gone as you'll get what you described earlier. I tried such a setup with multiple spare dual-port EVA6400 shelves without controller, but two brocade san switches and often lost connection to the disks - as you did. I abandoned this solution after all. It was too unreliable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!