command '/sbin/zpool create -o 'ashift=12' nvme mirror failed: exit code 1

speckz

Aug 12, 2021
Hi,

I installed Proxmox 7, and I am trying to create a new ZFS using two 1TB NVME drives via the GUI. However, I get the below error:

Code:
command '/sbin/zpool create -o 'ashift=12' nvme mirror /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Sabrent_1765071310FD00048263 /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_1TB_S59ANM0R523950R' failed: exit code 1

I also tried to do the following before this, but no luck.

Code:
sgdisk --zap-all /dev/nvme0n1
sgdisk --zap-all /dev/nvme1n1

I was able to add each of the NVME drives as a single disk RAID level but not as a mirror.

Last edited:
You could just run zpool create -o 'ashift=12' nvme mirror /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Sabrent_1765071310FD00048263 /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_1TB_S59ANM0R523950R directly and see what zpool tells you the error is. Usually zpool will tell you why something isn't working.

Reactions: speckz
Here is what I got when I ran the command you provide:

Code:
invalid vdev specification
use '-f' to override the following errors:
mirror contains devices of different sizes

Here is what I got when I ran the command you provide:

Code:
invalid vdev specification
use '-f' to override the following errors:
mirror contains devices of different sizes
You use different SSDs and they are not the same size. You can mirror them but the mirror will only give you the capacity of the smaller of the two SSDs. And write speed will also be the same as the slowest of the two SSDs. Also keep in mind that these are consumer SSDs so they will give you a terrible sync write performance and may die quite fast because of all the write amplification you get by using ZFS and virtualization. So you should monitor them well using SMART. They might die within weeks or years...really depending on your workload.

If you still want to create a mirror you can force zpool to create it:
Code:
zpool create -f -o 'ashift=12' nvme mirror /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Sabrent_1765071310FD00048263 /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_1TB_S59ANM0R523950R

To be able to use the pool you need to add it as a storage after creation. You can do that using the GUI: Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> ZFS

Last edited:
Reactions: speckz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!