Basic IO benchmarks between zfs/lvm-thin/qcow2

Lucian

Nov 7, 2017
Just ran these the other week, thought I'd share. I'll try to do some more proper ones on Linux, but before that happens here's some CrystalDiskMark ones on Windows 2019 (virtio-scsi).
The underlying storage is a single Samsung 850 PRO SSD.

I was pleasantly surprised by the QCOW2 performance, wish Proxmox focused on this some more, it should be trivial to have replication for this type of storage (rsync?).

2cores16ram32disk-qcow2.png

2cores16ram32disk-lvmthin.png

2cores16ram32disk-zfs.png

, wish Proxmox focused on this some more, it should be trivial to have replication for this type of storage (rsync?).

Yeah ... it is not. QCOW2 is not made for this, ZFS on the other hand is. Rsync is a very, very bad example for this, because it does not work well on very big files. The algorithm to detect differences can go rogue and it'll slow down terribly. We switched to stupid dd for that, which was in the end much more predicable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!