[SOLVED] Ubuntu LXC container with multiple gateway

s1dh

Aug 2, 2019
New to Proxmox , I recently installed on a OVH's dedicated server a 5.4-13 (zfs) Proxmox VE.

I needed to have one LXC container with 1 unused public IP (IP failover) and 1 LAN IP (for connecting with other LAN-only containers).

I used the set up described by OVH (ovh mac address , fail-over IP with /32 CIDR, and main.ip.254 as gateway).

Here is my tests results :

- With Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and 18.10 I never succeed to join the container from outside using the failover IP. Once you remove the LAN interface, it is OK.

- With Debian 9 LXC, IP failover + IP LAN works flawessy

- With Ubuntu 19.04, It was not working as the previous versions until I enabled IP-forwarding (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward), then it started to work and I could SSH the Ubuntu container from outside.

If you know how to set up public IP and LAN IP on a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS LXC container properly, please let me know ;)

Regards,

Ok just reply to myself :

Once I delete the LAN default gw (only the WAN default gw remains), one can ssh the lxc on its fail-over IP

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!