pblaz1988

Sep 22, 2022
Hello all,

I'm thinking about migrating to PBS for on-site & off-site backup. While the connection between headquarters and branch office is relatively (very) slow, the backups have always lagged behind for some days (using copy job in Veeam). The lagging is not a problem while is ok that i have remote copy of at least one month old restore point.

My biggest concern is, and sadly i haven't stumbled upon the answer, is how the off site pbs server handles sync jobs in the case when the restore point on the on-site server expires/disappears/is removed (retention settings) - are the files locked during the sync interval?

The next thing is how the sync jobs are handled. Are data always copied in incremental manner and the merge & verification in done by remote pbs or are there also full backups done periodically?

My biggest concern is, and sadly i haven't stumbled upon the answer, is how the off site pbs server handles sync jobs in the case when the restore point on the on-site server expires/disappears/is removed (retention settings) - are the files locked during the sync interval?
no, the source is not locked except for the snapshot that is currently being transferred.
The next thing is how the sync jobs are handled. Are data always copied in incremental manner and the merge & verification in done by remote pbs or are there also full backups done periodically?
there are no "full" backups in PBS - everything is always stored deduplicated in a chunk store. the difference between full and incremental is only meaningful when creating/uploading a backup snapshot, not afterwards.

Hi,
thank you for your answer. I will try limiting bandwidth and see how the thing works.

Best regards,
B

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!