Proxox ZFS SMB (CIFS) Share?

kevin00xxl

Apr 22, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have an HP ML10v2 which i want to use as an all in one server (hypervisor, fileserver, LXC).
I have installed Proxmox (choose ZFS RAID 0 during install) on the internal HDD 500GB 7200RPM seagate.
after that i installed samba and did the following: zfs sharesmb=yes rpool/DATA

While this works, (i can read and write from the share) it is really, really slow: around 3 to 4MB/s read and write.
The B120i RAID controller is set to AHCI btw

Further specs of the server are:
Dual Broadcom gigabit NIC's (onboard)
Intel Core i3 4150
16GB Kingston Unregistered ECC
500GB SATA HDD

I have been busy with this project for over the last couple of days, tried all sorts of things (even installed FreeNAS to verify that my hardware is fast enough for ZFS, on freenas i get 50 to 80MB's read and write, which seems to be OK)

Thanks in advance

This could be anything. Test the speed of the filesystem on the local machine (use dd to read or write a 100 meg file, etc) test the network speed with iperf ...

Using Proxmox with Samba running under an LXC container serving a ZFS filesystem I get much more than 3 - 4 MB/sec. But then I didn't use the ZFS sharesmb method - perhaps try it the old fashioned way.

Here's the extra bits of config I usually use for Samba to increase performance but I get the feeling something else is wrong with your config:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY
min receivefile size = 65536
aio read size = 65536
aio write size = 65536
use sendfile = yes

Also um ... you do know RAID 0 is striped not mirrored right? (lose 1 disk and you lose everything)

Hey,

Thanks for the response with all your information.
i found out what the problem was: A misconfigured managed switch.
All the ports were set to a bandwidth of around 4MB/s so the transfer speeds wouldnt be able to get any higher than that speed.

After resetting that switch the transfer speeds are amazing: 113MB/s read and write!
I only set up 1 disk in RAID 0 because i wanted to install proxmox on ZFS native. I will be using a ZFS mirror with 6 disks for safety.

Again, thanks for your information!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!