[TUTORIAL] Proxmox VE 7.2 Benchmark: aio native, io_uring, and iothreads

good morning everything is fine?

I have a question please, I have disks in passthrough, 2 NVME, 5 HDD, 2 SSD, all on passthrough.

The question is, can these disks be considered for use as async IO as native?

And I have 1 more partition as local (LVM - Proxmox installation) which is on NVME, can I also set Native?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 09.13.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 09.13.12.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 09.12.55.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 09.12.55.png
    266.9 KB · Views: 9
Hey everyone, a common question in the forum and to us is which settings are best for storage performance. We took a comprehensive look at performance on PVE 7.2 (kernel=5.15.53-1-pve) with aio=native, aio=io_uring, and iothreads over several weeks of benchmarking on an AMD EPYC system with 100G networking running in a datacenter environment with moderate to heavy load.

Here's an overview of the findings:
  • iothreads significantly improve performance for most workloads.
  • aio=native and aio=io_uring offer similar performance.
  • aio=native has a slight latency advantage for QD1 workloads.
  • aio=io_uring performance degrades in extreme load conditions.

Here's a link to full analysis with lots of graphs and data |https://kb.blockbridge.com/technote/proxmox-aio-vs-iouring/

tldr: The test data shows a clear and significant performance improvement that supports the use of IOThreads. Performance differences between aio=native and aio=io_uring were less significant. Except for unusual behavior reported in our results for QD=2, aio=native offers slightly better performance (when deployed with an IOThread) and gets our vote for the top pick.

attention: Our recommendation for aio=native applies to unbuffered, O_DIRECT, raw block storage only; the disk cache policy must be set to none. Raw block storage types include iSCSI, NVMe, and CEPH/RBD. For thin-LVM, anything stacked on top of software RAID, and file-based solutions (including NFS and ZFS), aio=io_uring (plus an IOThread) is preferred because aio=native can block in these configurations.

If you find this helpful, please let me know. I’ve got a bit more that I can share in the performance and tuning space. Questions, comments, and corrections are welcome.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
good morning everything is fine?

I have a question please, I have disks in passthrough, 2 NVME, 5 HDD, 2 SSD, all on passthrough.

The question is, can these disks be considered for use as async IO as native?

And I have 1 more partition as local (LVM - Proxmox installation) which is on NVME, can I also set Native?

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!