proxmox 5 - no boot with USB, and cdrom ISO fails at 100%

Symbol

Mar 1, 2017
Paris, France
Hi all,

I've already seen such behaviour with proxmox USB keys while googling.

I can observe this on a new server (HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9).

The ISO image was SHA256 checked. It was written with a good old dd. And it was rewritten again after, just to be sure it wasn't a USB key problem.

What I can see:
searching for cdrom, testing again in 5 seconds...no cdrom found, and bybye.

The trick is that on the very same USB key, on the same server, with an ISO image written with the very same workstation with the same dd command, a Debian Stretch image boots perfectly and finds the "cdrom" (that is, the USB key) without problem.

So, there's just no doubt there's something to fix in the Proxmox image.

Any clue to boot it in the meanwhile ? I have several servers to install.

I've taken some monitor captures by the way:

The proxmox image no booting (with an fdisk -l just after):
proxmox5 usbkey noboot 20170725.jpg

The debian image explaining me that it successfully found the cdrom and is now continuing:
debian9 usbkey noboot 20170725.jpg

Well, I finally booted the ISO with an USB CDROM reader (the same ISO file, of course), and it boots (it finds the cdrom where the same image booted via an USB key didn't found it, unlike a debian image).

It boots... but it doesn't install properly: it ends at 100% with a "command 'chroot /target dpkg --force-confold --configure -a' failed with exit code 1 at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 385".
I've read https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/error-at-100-with-installing-proxmox-ve-5-0.34320/ but changing the hostname doesn't do anything at all.

A few screenshots, including /tmp/install.log and dmesg showing a segfault of proxinstall in libgobject library (don't know if it's related or not):

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

I'm interested to have a working iso/usb image ; but I must proceed with multiple servers, so for now I'm installing a debian stretch (no problem to boot, no problem to install) using the documented process to install proxmox5 over it. It installs, I have yet to create and launch a first VM to check if everything is OK.

Now I have an additional question:
Is this kind of install fully supported by proxmox staff and corp ?
I want to know if subscribing to paid support for those 10 sockets makes sense in those conditions or not.

I'm interested to have a working iso/usb image ; but I must proceed with multiple servers, so for now I'm installing a debian stretch (no problem to boot, no problem to install) using the documented process to install proxmox5 over it. It installs, I have yet to create and launch a first VM to check if everything is OK.

Now I have an additional question:
Is this kind of install fully supported by proxmox staff and corp ?
I want to know if subscribing to paid support for those 10 sockets makes sense in those conditions or not.

I don't know why they would, but I'll leave the official answer to the proxmox support.

What boot mode are you using and how did you set the SATA devices? Are you using legacy boot mode and AHCI SATA by chance?

Well, I finally booted the ISO with an USB CDROM reader (the same ISO file, of course), and it boots (it finds the cdrom where the same image booted via an USB key didn't found it, unlike a debian image).

It boots... but it doesn't install properly: it ends at 100% with a "command 'chroot /target dpkg --force-confold --configure -a' failed with exit code 1 at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 385".
I've read https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/error-at-100-with-installing-proxmox-ve-5-0.34320/ but changing the hostname doesn't do anything at all.

A few screenshots, including /tmp/install.log and dmesg showing a segfault of proxinstall in libgobject library (don't know if it's related or not):

View attachment 5568

View attachment 5569

this bug in the installer will be fixed in the next iso-release (probably end of this week). you can workaround it by making sure at least one network device is active (i.e., connected to something, does not have to be the internet ;)) when installing PVE

this bug in the installer will be fixed in the next iso-release (probably end of this week). you can workaround it by making sure at least one network device is active (i.e., connected to something, does not have to be the internet ;)) when installing PVE
Well that's good news. There's still the "cdrom not found" issue by the way ?

However and after all, the debian/proxmox install doesn't seem to be a bad choice to us (in case of big issue it's still possible to reinstall without deleting the lvm thin pool volume, we can create the thin pool with the metadata size we want, and so on...), so my question about the support is still valid: supported or not ?

a new ISO with the fix will be released in a few days, thanks for patience and re-testing.

New ISO is available, on the well known download places.

Reactions: Symbol
For the record, I downloaded the latest V5 Installer .ISO image today (10/13/2017) and it still has this issue - I am installing on an HP DL380 G7 and the Installer is "Searching for CDROM" - in vain, since there is NO CDROM -- untill it the installer dies.

The Installer FileName I downloaded is: "proxmox-ve_5.0-5ab26bc-5.iso"

I re-tried it with the network connection in place also since someone mentioned that as a workaround - same error message (see image below).

Proxmox5InstallerErrors.jpg

Uh, have same issue today (
did not have time redownload and install prox 4.4 in another city location because of this bug :'-(

I just encountered the same issue today, written to the USB drive exactly how it was described in the manual, using DD. This was ProxMox 5.1. This is a very simple issue that needs to be fixed.... for some reason this is hard coded in as a cdrom in the syslinux config, and it only works when you install it using a very specific tool.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!