No Network Interface Found for RTL8125B

dkking

Jul 4, 2020
Hey,
i was trying to install Proxmox onto an Odroid h2+ with the 2.5gbe Realtek Nics. Apparently windows includes it no problem but for Linux you have to install them manually, how can i do that with Proxmox? When i boot up the usb to install it, it fails with the No network interface found error, is there anyway i can install the driver seperately so it doesn't fail?

Driver Site

Reactions: Tom223
I have the very same problem and it doesn't work for me. I did like you said and installed debian 10 (buster) and the network drivers for the 8215b and got it running. then I installed proxmox and the network was gone again. I couldn't even finish the proper installation of proxmox even though I followed the guidelines of proxmox exactly. Just didn't work with many errors I can't recall now. I think I give up and install Hyper-V or XEN and try my luck there. Might rethink if proxmox supports Realtek 8125b natively.

thanks cjmacks! i searched for the driver name, i should have searched for h2 before making a thread. i literally tried to start up in debug mode and used an offline version of debian iso in another usb to try and get the needed updates. didn't work.

What did work however after reading your thread was using tethering with proxmox install itself.

Prerequisite: Android phone required or manual installation of all dependencies for iPhone hotspot
steps;

1) 1 usb with proxmox, 1 usb with driver package
2) Boot into proxmox installer and Select debug mode installation
3)Press ctrl+d once for it to proceed
4)plug in android phone after enabling usb tether on the phone
5)type in ‘ ip addr show ‘ And note down the interface name for the usb tether, mine was enp0s something something
6) type in ‘ ip link set enp0s up’ #replace enp0s with your own interface name
7) type in dhclient enp0s #replace enp0s with your own interface name
8) test connectivity by using ping, ‘ping 1.1.1.1’
9) 'apt update'
10)install pve-header apt install pve-headers-$(uname -r)
11) cd into a directory to make the second usb mount= 'cd /media'
12) ‘mkdir usb’
13) use blkid to find the correct /dev/sd** name for your usb, (mine was sda1)
14) ‘mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb/‘
15) cd /media/usb
16)’ls’ #to find names
17) my tmp folder was restricted and apt couldn't use it, i had to 'chmod 1777 /tmp' to make it open again
18) 'apt install build-essential'
19) extract r8125-9.003.05.tar if not already done so, 'tar -xvf r8125-9.003.05.tar'
20) cd into r8125-9.003.05 folder and execute the script autorun.sh= 'chmod +x autorun.sh' and './autorun.sh'
21) now you can unplug the usb tether, repeat steps 5-8 to check if your Ethernet connection works.
22) now you can do what they ask the ctrl+D again(?) to go back into normal mode and it'll find your network interface and you can proceed normally.

Last edited:
dkking, I just wanted to say that you are awesome and after 3 failed attempts, your guide bridged the gap to me getting my ODroid H2+ to work. I deviated from your steps, so I wanted to document my experience for anyone who may be confused like me. I'm always open to corrections!

Modified Steps

I went with the DPKG (DEB) method, as the autorun script initially failed (I forget why, probably my fault), so I went with another option. I read somewhere that DPKG has an advantage, in that the driver will automatically be added back when you update your kernel.

1) 1 usb with proxmox, 1 usb with the DEB Driver
(https://github.com/awesometic/realt....05-1/realtek-r8125-dkms_9.003.05-1_amd64.deb)

2) Boot into proxmox installer and Select debug mode installation
3)Press ctrl+d once for it to proceed
4)plug in android phone after enabling usb tether on the phone (Dont try to ping anything yet lol)
5)type in ‘ ip addr show ‘ And note down the interface name for the usb tether, mine was enp0s something something
6) type in ‘ ip link set enp0s up’ #replace enp0s with your own interface name
7) type in dhclient enp0s #replace enp0s with your own interface name
8) test connectivity by using ping, ‘ping 1.1.1.1’

9) I had to modify my /tmp permissions (Step 17 in original instructions) before I could run 'apt update'. Run the command below and hit enter:
chmod 777 /tmp

10) 'apt update'

The step below this failed for me initially. My kernel was corrected printed out, but there were no install candidates for it. I had to use nano and add the standard repository to my sources list. You must add the [trusted=yes] option, as the certificate wasn't able to be verified (atleast for me, not sure technically why)

(nano /etc/apt/sources.list) Add this line after nano opens up
deb [trusted=yes] http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription

11)install pve-header apt install pve-headers-$(uname -r)
12) cd into a directory to make the second usb mount= 'cd /media'
13) ‘mkdir usb’
14) use blkid to find the correct /dev/sd** name for your usb, (mine was sda1)
15) ‘mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb/‘
16) cd /media/usb
17)’ls’ #to find names
18) 'apt install build-essential'
19) 'apt install dkms'
19) Change directories to your USB folder with the DEB file (cd /media/usb)
20) install the DEB file with dpkg -i NAME_OF_DEB_FILE

21) now you can unplug the usb tether, repeat steps 5-8 to check if your Ethernet connection works.
22) now you can do what they ask the ctrl+D again(?) to go back into normal mode and it'll find your network interface and you can proceed normally.

Thank you again!

Time to laugh at myself... This got me thorugh the installer, but it seems clear to me that the steps need to be repeated after the first boot? I can't bring up my NIC like I could in the installer, so that's currently where I'm stuck. I'll update this when I know more.

Last edited:
Hi!

Thank you dkking and js2 for the above instructions. Generally, both works on my Odroid H2+ and I can install proxmox. Unfortunately after installation and first reboot the network is gone. When I try to load module then modprobe returns:

Module r8125 not found in directory /lib/modules/5.4.34-1-pve

What more, after installation I cannot establish network via tethering.
I have no idea what went wrong and would be grateful for any suggestion.

--
Now I have noticed what js2 wrote so we are in the same boat.

Last edited:
On your first boot after installing proxmox to set tethered network you need to disable networking service first:
Code:
/etc/init.d/networking stop

Reactions: joeler
Hi!

Thank you dkking and js2 for the above instructions. Generally, both works on my Odroid H2+ and I can install proxmox. Unfortunately after installation and first reboot the network is gone. When I try to load module then modprobe returns:

Module r8125 not found in directory /lib/modules/5.4.34-1-pve

What more, after installation I cannot establish network via tethering.
I have no idea what went wrong and would be grateful for any suggestion.

--
Now I have noticed what js2 wrote so we are in the same boat.
Hopefully you've solved this by now but i was able to get everything up and running by making use of this thread. Just to follow up on how to get this working after the initial boot. As @unik mentioned you'll have to stop the networking service in order to get the tether (or other NIC) working again.

Now that we have WAN access again we can fix the damage caused from the install. you'll have to essentially go through this process again.

So I had to do this for several servers and doing this manually on each one just wasn't my idea of fun so I wrote a script to automate this process. I've hosted it in github for anyone else that might find this useful.

https://github.com/dgparker/RTL8125-proxmox-ve-install-script

Last edited:
Reactions: UdoB
Reactions: joeler
@dkking @js2 Hi, new to linux and Proxmox and following this guide because I had the same issue. I'm at this line- 11)install pve-header apt install pve-headers-$(uname -r)

I'm sure I'm missing something and supposed to ensure something specific in the italics part, but entering it as is returns- install: target 'pve-headers-5.4.106.1-pve' is not a directory

And I'm not sure what to do from there. Any assistance appreciated.

@dkking @js2 Hi, new to linux and Proxmox and following this guide because I had the same issue. I'm at this line- 11)install pve-header apt install pve-headers-$(uname -r)

I'm sure I'm missing something and supposed to ensure something specific in the italics part, but entering it as is returns- install: target 'pve-headers-5.4.106.1-pve' is not a directory

And I'm not sure what to do from there. Any assistance appreciated.
Try to run "apt update" after you modified the sources.list

Hi there!

I followed the guide thank you for that. However, after I completed the guide and pressed ctrl+d my system hangs. I only can see a blank black screen with one little cursos in the up right corner, or sometimes I can get to the installer's EULA, but that's it. I'm trying to install it on a AMD Ryzen 3600 system. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!