New installation instead of upgrade to Proxmox 7 - general structure

rosaLux161

Aug 3, 2021
Hello, as the title already says, I would like to reinstall my Proxmox environment, as the current one has already been messed up a bit and partly serves as a playground. Among other things, this was there to gain experience with it.

Now the question is, how do I best build the construct?

Briefly about the hardware:
  • 1 x 250 GB SSD, which should be available for the Proxmox installation and virtual machines.
  • 2 x 4 TB HDDs, which should be used as data storage for TrueNAS (or possibly as additional data storage for other things, it depends on how it will be planned in the future)

Current setup:
  • Installation of Proxmox on 250 GB SSD. Different VMs on this like OpnSense, DNS, Prometheus, TrueNAS.
  • 2 x 4 TB HDD as passthrough to the TrueNAS VM and set up as ZFS mirror in the VM.
---
But now that I want to redo everything, now would be the chance for change and a different setup. My biggest thought is that the passthrough may not be the smartest idea and there may be better solutions with proxmox tools.

Hi, if you absolutely want TrueNAS then this sounds OK. You can also think about
  1. letting Proxmox VE handle the physical disks and create a (maybe ZFS) storage on it
  2. install some (other) data storage solution in a VM
  3. assign the VM virtual disks residing on the storage from step 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!