[SOLVED] How works VM snapshots in PVE?

squirell

Apr 1, 2021
Hi!

Please tell me how works VM snapshots in PVE?

1. I create snapshot (disk type qcow2), do some changes on disk, and snapshot size - 0 (screenshot).
2. How creates RAW-image snapshot (backend ext4) during backup VM with type "snapshot"?

Attachments

• Снимок экрана_2021-06-15_13-17-33.png
    Снимок экрана_2021-06-15_13-17-33.png
    12 KB · Views: 46
1. I create snapshot (disk type qcow2), do some changes on disk, and snapshot size - 0 (screenshot).
Hm, this might be a visual bug? What happens if you do a rollback, is the data correct afterwards? Snapshots created via PVE should really always be viewed from PVE itself, as we include some snapshot metadata in the VM config as well, not just the disk image, but still, this probably shouldn't just show 0...

2. How creates RAW-image snapshot (backend ext4) during backup VM with type "snapshot"?
Backup mode "snapshot" only refers to snapshot semantics (i.e. the data will be backed up as it is when the backup starts, any data written during the backup will not be visible in it, thus the backup will be consistent). There is no actual file system or disk "snapshot" taken, it all happens internally in QEMU (more technically speaking, data is written to the backup in a copy-before-write manner).

Hm, this might be a visual bug? What happens if you do a rollback, is the data correct afterwards? Snapshots created via PVE should really always be viewed from PVE itself, as we include some snapshot metadata in the VM config as well, not just the disk image, but still, this probably shouldn't just show 0...
I try rollback and all ok (VM start normally).

qemu monitor:
Code:
# info block
drive-scsi0 (#block104): /var/lib/vz/images/104/vm-104-disk-0.qcow2 (qcow2)
    Attached to:      scsi0
    Cache mode:       writeback, direct
    Detect zeroes:    on

# info snapshots
List of snapshots present on all disks:
ID        TAG               VM SIZE                DATE     VM CLOCK     ICOUNT
--        s1                    0 B 2021-06-15 14:14:07672:10:45.445

Backup mode "snapshot" only refers to snapshot semantics (i.e. the data will be backed up as it is when the backup starts, any data written during the backup will not be visible in it, thus the backup will be consistent). There is no actual file system or disk "snapshot" taken, it all happens internally in QEMU (more technically speaking, data is written to the backup in a copy-before-write manner).
Thank you.
Can you give link to qemu documentation, which describe this technology? I know about block-stream and block-commit, but PVE don't use them by backup.

Attachments

• Снимок экрана от 2021-06-15 14-26-03.png
    Снимок экрана от 2021-06-15 14-26-03.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 19
Thank you.
Can you give link to qemu documentation, which describe this technology? I know about block-stream and block-commit, but PVE don't use them by backup.
We use a custom 'backup' QMP command and apply a bunch of custom patches to our QEMU build to make it work with VMA and PBS. Check our git repository for the code, there's not a lot of docs on the internal interface I'm afraid, as backups are usually managed via the 'vzdump' utility and not directly via QEMU.

We use a custom 'backup' QMP command and apply a bunch of custom patches to our QEMU build to make it work with VMA and PBS. Check our git repository for the code, there's not a lot of docs on the internal interface I'm afraid, as backups are usually managed via the 'vzdump' utility and not directly via QEMU.
thank you for link to the repository.

Can you tell where is the file, which describe in string (qemu monitor):
Code:
Backup file: /dev/fdname/backup
This file no such in /dev tree during backup

Reactions: squirell

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!