How to configure Proxmox and PfSense VM so that all network requests go through PfSense

Few tips for what you're trying to accomplish:

1. I see nothing wrong with virtualization your router, especially if you're already inside another private network anyway. if you bork up your pfsense VM and need internet for proxmox, you can always give proxmox an IP on the "WAN" (private school network) and move on, then switch back to using your "internally" hosted gateway when ready. I virtualize my home router on proxmox and it worked fine.

View attachment 14397

View attachment 14398

2.You'll note, that in my deployment, my "WAN" IP the actual public IP. Pfsense is negotiating the PPPoE with my DSL provider over a DSL modem in bridge mode (all 4 nodes connected to the 4 port switch on the modem). In your environment, you're likely already in a private network space... By default, pfsense won't "route" to private network addresses on ports it considers to be the WAN port. You'll have to "allow" this (uncheck this on interface settings):

View attachment 14399

3. Of course, you'll also need to make sure you are hosting a network that doesn't share broadcast range with your school network. If they are say, a 10.0.0.0/16 or something like that, then you might want to host a 192.168.X.0/24 for yourself.

4. Also... you will likely need to define the upstream gateway for the WAN interface in pfsense:
View attachment 14401

5. Don't forget to disable hardware offload in pfsense (system>advanced). When virtualized, these don't work.
View attachment 14402

6.If you want to use Suricata in Inline mode, you'll probably have to set this system tunable: (force netmap emulation). View attachment 14404
HI! My work proxmox setup with router as VM (opnSense).
internet -> swith (level2, and internet port is vlan tag 2) -> proxmox (standart bridge, and fixed local ip):
View attachment 21784
vm config is:
View attachment 21785
inside in vm:
View attachment 21786

and internet work wery well, inside of console proxmox, and inside all vm, and local network.
you are a life saver. I spent days (weeks) trying to work out why PFsense wouldsn't route for local VM's, but would route for external devices. I had all but "Hardware Checksum Offloading" ticked. As soon as I did and rebooted, all worked. I owe you a beer. Many, many Thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!