Existing ZFS Pool to VM (FreeNAS)

phcreery

Dec 27, 2019
I have found 3 ways to get a ZFS pool to a Proxmox VM (FreeNAS). I was wondering which is the best?
  1. ZFS over SCSI
  2. Virtual Disk
  3. PCI Pass-through
    • FreeNAS Recommended
    • I have 1 PCI RAID controller with 6 disks on it but I just want 1 disk to be passed through. Will I be able to pass through just one disk? Or could I pass through all even though Proxmox itself is installed on a disk on that same RAID controller?
Which one will be the fastest? I already have a large pool of data and would like to keep it. (I do have a back up of all of it)
I know this is a lot of questions but your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
1.) This is not ZFS on the Proxmox VE host.
On PVE you just have a LUN and with this plugin, you are capable to create snapshots on the FreeNas side.

2 and 3 are as far as I understand the same.
You what passthrough a disk.
PCI Passthrough works only with PCI devices so if your Disk is an NVMEe PCIe device you can use this mode.
The performance of a pass-through disk is the same as a vdisk. because in the end, the SW layer is the bottleneck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!