Changing the IP address and subnet in all cluster nodes

jsabater

Oct 25, 2021
Palma, Mallorca, Spain
Good evening everyone!

I have a production cluster with 5 nodes. All of the nodes have one network card with:
  • A dedicated public IP address on eno1.
  • A vmbr4001 bridge for the public subnet of the guests (LXC).
  • A vmbr4002 bridge for the private subnet of the guests (LXC).
  • A vmbr4003 bridge for the private subnet of the hosts (nodes) with an assigned IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.11)
I need to change the private IP addresses of all the nodes from the 192.168.1.0/24 to the 10.0.0.0/8 range. I have found this very nice guide. Basically what I would be doing is:
  1. Stop the cluster: systemctl stop pve-cluster corosync on each node.
  2. Locally mount the filesystem on each node.
  3. Edit the files /etc/hosts and /etc/pve/priv/known_hosts to match the new subnet.
  4. Edit /etc/pve/corosync.conf on each node and modify the IP addresses of all the nodes present there (from 192.168.1.0/24 to 10.0.0.0/8), incrementing the config_version to the same value on all nodes (e.g. from 8 to 9).
  5. Reboot all nodes.
This is, as you all may imagine, a very sensitive procedure.

Questions:
  1. Would it be better to reboot the nodes one by one, or reboot them all at once?
  2. Is this procedure up to date? Anything missing?
  3. Any hints, recommendations or musts beyond what is described above?
Thanks in advance.

by changing the cluster config you have to be very careful. The howto you linked seems to be very handful. I would it a try. Best is to have Host backups for rollback. Also, I would not start immediately the VMs after change. Maybe the staff can give an extra hint.

I'm also curious if this can do the same as I am in the same situation but with 6 nodes... I'm switching over from one smaller subnet to another larger subnet in an attempt to simplify our network structure
Did it work as laid out in the guide? I am in production, remote from datacenter, and need to modify our cluster home network to a new subnet.

I ended up not attempting to perform the change. For now I am holding with what I have (although I don't have much room left) and I plan on creating a new cluster from scratch, as it will also serve to overcome the 32 MAC addresses limitation per NIC that Hetzner imposes on their vSwitches (I plan on connecting the new servers with hardware switches).

Please let me know how it goes, in case you decide to attempt it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!