Can you mount CephFS on PBS as Datastore?

Noah0302

Jul 21, 2022
Hello guys,

we have a PBS running in our Dev-Environment with a Tape-Lib attached, but as I found out, you can only backup to tape if the backups are on a Datastore beforehand...
Originally I was planning to backup directly to tape, so I deployed a 1U PBS Server that barely has enough space for 2 Boot-Drives in Raid 1 and a PCIe-Card to connect to the Lib. There is no way of adding more local storage to the PBS!

So, I thought of maybe mounting CephFS fom our PVE-Cluster as a Datastore on PBS and then writing the backups to tape, if that is even possible.
I am fully aware, that if the Cluster fails, the mounted CephFS will also stop working, but that is not a problem as its only there as a middleman betweet PBS and the Tape-Lib. Also I do know that it most likely will be pretty slow.

Does anyone know if this is feasible?

Alternatively I thought of mounting an NFS-Share as a Datastore from out TrueNAS.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I think both should work, and as you noted, but are far from ideal setups (the additional latency will definitely hurt performance).

Reactions: Noah0302 and Moayad
you need to take care of mounting yourself, then create the datastore in the GUI or via proxmox-backup-manager

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!