SpinningRust

Sep 25, 2019
Hello everyone,

I tried to find information about this, but apparently my setup seems to be exotic in this aspect because no one else has done this.

I have a small 2 node cluster and plan to add another node with PBS installed to back up all VMs and containers. But also: a whole storage pool of my data (because it's a home server and a homelab...).

Is it possible to also backup a whole storage pool to the PBS? So far i have only read about VMs and LXCs, that's why i'm not sure whether that's not intended usage/a still to come feature or a pve-zsync replication job would be better in this situation.
Unfortunately, I don't have the hardware yet to try this myself, so any answers or hints where to look would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John Tanner

Hi, if by whole storage pool of your data you mean a filesystem containing the data that is mounted on one of the pve hosts than that is a simple task. Just install the proxmox-backup-client on the pve node and perform a backup as described in the docs https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#

Hi, if by whole storage pool of your data you mean a filesystem containing the data that is mounted on one of the pve hosts than that is a simple task. Just install the proxmox-backup-client on the pve node and perform a backup as described in the docs https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#
Hey there, thanks for the reply!

Somehow I haven't seen this option yet, thanks for pointing that out.

If i understand that correctly, the command
Bash:
proxmox-backup-client backup HQ.pxar:/ --repository PBS_name:backup_store

would then backup the archive HQ.pxar to the remote Proxmox backup server called PBS_name and save it in the datastore backup_store.

But how do i create an archive of a 10Tb storage pool on the machine itself? Or is creating a pxar archive not necessary?

To maybe make it a little more clear, i have a main server (CCA) with a storage pool (HQ) that has a capacity of 10Tb.
How would I back up this pool to a Proxmox Backup server? The only way i saw in the documentation is to first create a pxar archive, of HQ in this case, and then back this archive up to the Backup server.
Wouldn't this archive be very large, even with compression?

Hey there, thanks for the reply!

Somehow I haven't seen this option yet, thanks for pointing that out.

If i understand that correctly, the command
Bash:
proxmox-backup-client backup HQ.pxar:/ --repository PBS_name:backup_store

would then backup the archive HQ.pxar to the remote Proxmox backup server called PBS_name and save it in the datastore backup_store.

But how do i create an archive of a 10Tb storage pool on the machine itself? Or is creating a pxar archive not necessary?

To maybe make it a little more clear, i have a main server (CCA) with a storage pool (HQ) that has a capacity of 10Tb.
How would I back up this pool to a Proxmox Backup server? The only way i saw in the documentation is to first create a pxar archive, of HQ in this case, and then back this archive up to the Backup server.
Wouldn't this archive be very large, even with compression?
Hi John, just run the proxmox-backup-client on the PVE host where you have the path you need to backup reachable/mounted.
example: proxmox-backup-client backup mynewbackup.pxar:/mnt/pve/mydirtobackup --repository backupuser@pbs@10.10.10.10:backupserver
This will create the archive mynewbackup.pxar on the proxmox backup server with the files in /mnt/pve/mydirtobackup

Hi John, just run the proxmox-backup-client on the PVE host where you have the path you need to backup reachable/mounted.
example: proxmox-backup-client backup mynewbackup.pxar:/mnt/pve/mydirtobackup --repository backupuser@pbs@10.10.10.10:backupserver
This will create the archive mynewbackup.pxar on the proxmox backup server with the files in /mnt/pve/mydirtobackup
Ahhhh i see now

several things just clicked into place

thank you very much for your insight!

how to back up VMs into the same storage pool should be really easy then as far as i've read the documentation.

Thanks again!

Ahhhh i see now

several things just clicked into place

thank you very much for your insight!

how to back up VMs into the same storage pool should be really easy then as far as i've read the documentation.

Thanks again!
yes, just backup using the pve backup in gui with backup server as storage

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!