Backup over Network to NAS

LiamNZ

Feb 9, 2017
So I'm looking for a solution where ProxMox does its backups over the network to a FreeNAS box.
Last week I had this running very well using NFS until Tuesday morning when FreeNAS went offline.
To me if the NAS goes offline the backup should quit and get over it, but it didnt do that.
Instead Proxmox left me with a VM frozen, (the most important one) and no way to fix it.
I search for the processes and tried to kill them, nothing wanted to work. I ended up having to pull power to the server. An unacceptable result.

So now I'm left looking into options, I thought iSCSI but I can't perform backups to it.
Is the only option to use NFS? What other options do I have?

Reactions: Q-wulf
I have been reading of using the "soft" option?
What are your thoughts on this?

If NFS cant handle an interruption, what is my next best choice?

If NFS cant handle an interruption, what is my next best choice?
It's a good question. But i don't know. We have really a lot of servers running and all they backup on NFS. Never have problems with, but i must also say we never turn of the backupstorages. When one storage goes offline (damage, error...) and this durning a backup, yes then it is a big problem. When you are not able in this situation to get back connection to nfsserver then the only way is (after kill processes and disable storages) to restart the concerned nodes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!