May 11, 2018
Hi there,

I tried setting up a cluster it worked for a while but then one of the servers failed.
I now need to remove the cluster and reinstall the OS on the failed server.
The operational sever is in Production and I want to avoid any misinterpretations.
Could someone please advise me if the method below will work OK -
  • I have Server1 & Server2
  • Server2 Failed (Fixed Hardware issue - however the cluster is messed up)
  • I Reinstall PVE on the failed server / Server2, so it is a brand new OS (PVE 6), new IP and hostname (same physical box and MAC address however)
  • Once installed and setup I backup and move all my VM's & LXC's from Server1 to Server2
  • Validate all is working
  • I then Reinstall PVE on Server1
Should I expected any problems in the above - I know that I would have to set the expected votes on the remaining cluster node to 1.

Thanks in advance!

Did you manage to solve your problem in the meantime? If not, what is 'pveversion -v' on your Server1?

In addition: We generally suggest using a QDevice if you have a two node cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!