redjohn

Apr 22, 2016
Hello,

My Proxmox Mailgateway Cluster is now working fine. But sometimes I have bad SMTP Connection times, tested on mxtoolbox.com. But only on the second Proxmox Mailgateway Server. I disable Greylisting.

Any ideas?

SMTP Connection Time6.944 seconds - Warning on Connection time
SMTP Transaction Time9.185 seconds - Not good! on Transaction Time

Sometime the SMTPD Header from the Proxmox Mailgateway is broken and looks like this:

220-hostname Mailgateway <br />220 hostname Mailgateway in2
220-hostname Mailgateway <br />220 hostname Mailgateway in1

I removed hostname from this error message! Why is there html code inside the SMTPD Header? And if the SMTPD Header is broken, the SMTP Connection time is bad like the time below.

I tested this with mxtoolbox.com

That's odd - please post your (redacted) 'main.cf' (and its template)

Hello,

this is my template config:
Code:
# auto-generated by proxmox

compatibility_level = 2
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix/sbin
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix

And this is my main.cf:

[CODE]# auto-generated by proxmox

compatibility_level = 2
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix/sbin
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = yes

smtpd_banner = hostname.domnain.de Mailgatway - Companyname Mailgateway in1

I don't know why the SMTP time sometimes is bad and sometimes not. But only if the SMTP time id bad the SMTPD-Banner is broken and looks like:

220-hostname Mailgateway <br />220 hostname Mailgateway in2
220-hostname Mailgateway <br />220 hostname Mailgateway in1

<br/> looks like html code?

Last edited:
I tried reproducing this here locally and could not - the banner always prints in one line

do you have any proxies/firewalls in between PMG and the internet? (or the point where you try to connect to PMG)?

I hope this helps!

I tried reproducing this here locally and could not - the banner always prints in one line

do you have any proxies/firewalls in between PMG and the internet? (or the point where you try to connect to PMG)?

I hope this helps!

Hello Ivanov,

No PMG is direct connect to the internet. But this error is only sometimes not always. I wonder why there is HTML Code inside and the SMTP Transpot Time is so high.

Hi,

looks like the html code comes from the mxtoolbox page, that should indicate a new line. Look at the "Session Transcript:" (output) code snippet at the end, there should be no html tag.

Greetz

Hi,

looks like the html code comes from the mxtoolbox page, that should indicate a new line. Look at the "Session Transcript:" (output) code snippet at the end, there should be no html tag.

Greetz

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. Any idea why the SMTP Time is so bad? Maybe also the mxtoolbox?

Regards

anything pointing to longer response times in the journal of the second node?
`journalctl -r` - to get it sorted in latest message first order

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!