redjohn

Apr 22, 2016
Hi,

Is there any Ubuntu 16.04 Template for Proxmox 4.1 available? or is there a release date for this new template? i would like to use new Ubuntu 16.04 short term. it would be nice to have a template for ubuntu 16.04 in short time.

Maybe someone can help me.

Best regards,

Olli

You can use official lxc images, but you have to uncompress them and compress them as tar.gz.

FYI, just renaming it ( s/xz/gz/ ) works also, not needed to recompress, I tar xf should chandle .xz just as fine, AFAIK, we could probably allow .xz also but that would need a check if it has no real disadvantage which I'm currently overlooking.

Hi,

Thanks for the fast answer. on the server download.proxmox.com:

( http://download.proxmox.com/images/system/ )

on this download server i see ubuntu 16.04, how can i download it into promox?

i use the command pveam update but i see nothing in the the template download in the proxmox webinterface.

see attached screenshot!

can anyone help me please?

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 33
Hi,

it looks like it isn't in the template index yet as its a "testing image" for now.

Log in as root at the PVE node shell then go the storage where you want to download the template, e.g for local storage go to:
Code:
cd /var/lib/vz/template/cache/

# or for an NFS storage:
cd /mnt/pve/<STORAGENAME>/template/cache/
and download it with:

Code:
wget http://download1.proxmox.com/images/system/ubuntu-16.04-standard_16.04-1_amd64.tar.gz

after that you should be able to use it.

I just uploaded the new image and got this error
"TASK ERROR: unsupported ubunt version '16.04"

any reason why and I've gotten this twice from downloading straight from SSH and also uploading the image from my desktop to the Proxmox?
any help would be much appreciated

I just uploaded the new image and got this error
"TASK ERROR: unsupported ubunt version '16.04"

any reason why and I've gotten this twice from downloading straight from SSH and also uploading the image from my desktop to the Proxmox?
any help would be much appreciated

you need latest version to get this running (update packages from pve-no-subscription repo).

So, I tested this template today. It installs OK, but I had a problem with package installs.

The package avahi-daemon fails to install through apt with the following error:
Code:
Setting up avahi-daemon (0.6.32~rc+dfsg-1ubuntu2) ...
Failed to add /run/systemd/ask-password to directory watch: No space left on device
Failed to add /run/systemd/ask-password to directory watch: No space left on device
Job for avahi-daemon.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status avahi-daemon.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript avahi-daemon, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package avahi-daemon (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

So, it errors out with a "no space left on device" when trying to set up some type of directory watch...

The thing is, none of the devices are full, I'm not sure where it is trying to write and failing:

Code:
$ df -h
Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rpool/subvol-999-disk-1   16G  2.4G   14G  15% /
none                     100K     0  100K   0% /dev
cgroup                    12K     0   12K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                     95G     0   95G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup/cgmanager
tmpfs                     95G     0   95G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                     95G  8.5M   95G   1% /run
tmpfs                    5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                     19G     0   19G   0% /run/user/1000

So, this problem could be one of the following, and I'm not really sure how to diagnose which it is:

1.) Ubuntu Xenial repository/package problem
2.) Avahi bug
3.) Avahi not compatible with LXC containers
4.) Problem with this Ubuntu Xenial template
5.) Apparmor prevents Avahi from working somehow.

Does anyone know which it might be, and if there is a way for me to work around it?

Much obliged,
Matt

Again, nones of the services are working for me with this template, I need to start everything by hand at boot (ex. service networking start, service ssh start, etc...)
Not my native language, sry.

Again, nones of the services are working for me with this template, I need to start everything by hand at boot (ex. service networking start, service ssh start, etc...)

Hmm. I had a similar problem when I copied my 14.04 based Mythbuntu 0.27 install into a 14.04 based template. Everything worked, but suddenly my mythbackend stopped starting on boot and needed to be manually started.

I wonder if this is somehow related.

I found a comment on the lxc mailing list which speaks to your auto-start issue here

For this person - for some reason - defining the dns-nameservers manually in the /etc/network/interfaces in the container and suddenly his services were starting on boot.

I'm not sure WHY this would work, but he suggests it did for him. I'm going to try it when I get home from work.

I found a comment on the lxc mailing list which speaks to your auto-start issue here

For this person - for some reason - defining the dns-nameservers manually in the /etc/network/interfaces in the container and suddenly his services were starting on boot.

I'm not sure WHY this would work, but he suggests it did for him. I'm going to try it when I get home from work.

Well, I can report that manually setting the dns-nameservers setting in the containers /etc/network/interfaces did NOT solve my autostarting problem.

Ahh, Thank you for that. I did not come across this one in my search (probably due to wrong search terms).

I will try this and see what happens.

Interesting note on this. I did a fresh install using the same 16.04 template, and this time avahi-daemon installed normally. (???) o_O Maybe an Ubuntu repository change?

Same problem here! When i do a systemctl start "service" i get the

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!