PveUuser

Feb 18, 2016
Hello all
I migrate an image of Windows Server 2008 from Vmware converter (Vmdk) but when I am starting the machine in proxmox a blue screen appears and the machine server reboot endlessly , then I convert the Vmdk to Qcow2 and i replace the old image by the newest, but the blue screen still appears and the machine reboot again.
what can i do to solve this problem ?
Thanks for answers

160218012038524197.png

Last edited:
You have BSOD 7B, which is inaccessible boot device and it is a Windows, not a Proxmox problem and the wiki article I provided does indeed start with exactly this problem and how to solve it.
Idon't think so , because the image work fine in Vmware Workstation , the problem is when i starting up the machine in proxmox
sorry if my english is bad

Idon't think so , because the image work fine in Vmware Workstation , the problem is when i starting up the machine in proxmox
sorry if my english is bad

I don't want to be mean, but I know that the boot device is the problem because the error says so. It does not matter if the image worked in VMware or not, you changed to whole virtual machine around it. Older Windows version like you're using cares a lot about the machine around and if there is e.g. a SCSI or SATA controller in your VMware VM and you defined a virtio or IDE in Proxmox/Qemu, then it will not find your boot device and that is exactly the error described in your screenshot - that's also what is described in the wiki article I provided before.

Please consider hiring a person which is familiar with V2V migrations, because it seems you do not understand what culprits exist and how to read simple windows error messages. Again, I do not want to be mean, but if you ask for help and don't like the correct answer then go and solve it on your own. I just wanted to help you with my almost 15 years of experience in P2V and V2V under various systems.

Reactions: PveUuser
I don't want to be mean, but I know that the boot device is the problem because the error says so. It does not matter if the image worked in VMware or not, you changed to whole virtual machine around it. Older Windows version like you're using cares a lot about the machine around and if there is e.g. a SCSI or SATA controller in your VMware VM and you defined a virtio or IDE in Proxmox/Qemu, then it will not find your boot device and that is exactly the error described in your screenshot - that's also what is described in the wiki article I provided before.

Please consider hiring a person which is familiar with V2V migrations, because it seems you do not understand what culprits exist and how to read simple windows error messages. Again, I do not want to be mean, but if you ask for help and don't like the correct answer then go and solve it on your own. I just wanted to help you with my almost 15 years of experience in P2V and V2V under various systems.

I did not change anything, when I opened the image in vmware , I noted the options , it was 2GB Ram , Proc 1Socket/4cores , 136,7HDD SCSI , and 2 Bridget lan card.
25t85t1.jpg

Yes, but the most important part is not there: The SCSI controller type. This has to be exactly the same - if even possible. Please check the next tab (options) and what SCSI controller is set there. The default is LSI 53C895A, please set to the one in VMware (hopefully is was VMware PVSCSI - then it should work directly).

Otherwise you have to fix your windows if the controller types do not match. This involves changing the drivers in you install via rescue console in windows.

Reactions: PveUuser
Yes, but the most important part is not there: The SCSI controller type. This has to be exactly the same - if even possible. Please check the next tab (options) and what SCSI controller is set there. The default is LSI 53C895A, please set to the one in VMware (hopefully is was VMware PVSCSI - then it should work directly).

Otherwise you have to fix your windows if the controller types do not match. This involves changing the drivers in you install via rescue console in windows.
What do you think about the size of the HDD ?? is 136.7g but i precies 140g , isn't a problem?
wldffm.jpg

Hi PveUser,

it IS like LnxBil said, your VM is not able to access the boot device. One possible way to go would be to install the mergeide on your running VMware VM to get support for IDE in KVM. Now convert the machine to KVM. Then boot the your VM in Proxmox with IDE controller and install virtio drivers like described in the links below. For this solution there a few steps to go but they are quite easy to do. Good luck.

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#mergeide
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Paravirtualized_Block_Drivers_for_Windows

Hi PveUser,

it IS like LnxBil said, your VM is not able to access the boot device. One possible way to go would be to install the mergeide on your running VMware VM to get support for IDE in KVM. Now convert the machine to KVM. Then boot the your VM in Proxmox with IDE controller and install virtio drivers like described in the links below. For this solution there a few steps to go but they are quite easy to do. Good luck.

Thank you i will try
anyone know a video that shows the details steps?

Hi PveUser,

Thank you nasenmann72
the mergeide work awesome ,now the VM work great
Thanks all for help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!