ZFS and Ceph on same cluster

velocity08

May 25, 2019
Hi All

just wondering is it possible to have a ProxMox cluster with both local ZFS data store per host + Ceph on the same cluster?

example.

5 or 6 hosts
10 bays per host
4 bays for ZFS mirror
6 bays for Ceph

is it possible to have this mixed storage design in a single cluster?

From a hosting perspective being able to offer lower cost SSD storage on ZFS then be able to move clients who would like higher availability for their VM's to have Ceph storage at a higher cost.

thoughts?

From my understanding we can have iSCSI, NFS + Local storage with ZFS at the same time on the same cluster.

please correct me if i'm mistaken.

""Cheers
G

Why should this not be possible? You can mix every storage options you like. :)
If you configure those storages to hold VM images, for instance, you can easily migrate the image from one storage to another.

Last edited:
Reactions: velocity08
Why should this not be possible? You can mix every storage options you like. :)
If you configure those storages to hold VM images, for instance, you can easily migrate the image from one storage to another.
hi @ph0x

thanks for the reply.

That’s the reason for my question, specifically in regards to mix and match with Ceph.

I’m looking for a confirmation that it’s usable in this way with a mix of zfs and Ceph.

using ProMox Ceph specifically opposed to an external 3rd party Ceph cluster.

ta

Last edited:
A hyperconverged storage cluster always steals some computing power, but if your hardware can handle it, you can easily host zfs storage and a ceph cluster concurrently.

Last edited:
Reactions: velocity08
A hyperconverged storage cluster always steals some computing power, but if your hardware can handle it, you can easily host zfs storage and a ceph cluster concurrently.
Thanks for confirming @ph0x .

Im hoping someone with this same setup can comment and confirm as well.

""Cheers
G

Is it possible to move a VM between CEPH and ZFS in a mixed environment like this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!