Windows 7 64 bits signed VirtIO drivers

JNL

Jun 16, 2016
Hello again! as im going to build a proxmox ve 4.2 for a productive enviroment in a couple of days and started doing tests in order to smooth the transition from virtualbox in a old cpu, the first thing i need running in the new computer is a windows 64bits VM for a little MS SQL server database. (more details in this post https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/new-configuration-help.27881)

I would like to use Windows 7 64, but i can't find signed VirtIO drivers anywhere, and the idea of signing those myself doesn't seem so great.

so, i don't know if i am missing something, maybe another win 7 64 distro? or another repository for virtio drivers? i tryed with the ones in here https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers
Any help would be great!
Thx in advance.

I've never been informed about not signed drivers, when using the "normal" virtio-stuff.
It only happened to me using windows 7 x64 VirtIO drivers during install. No problem with x86 drivers or with windows 8 and 10.

I will test using what tom linked and report back.

THX a lot!

I followed the instructions to the letter and the same thing happened to me, i got the latest 0.1.118 and the stable version 0.1.102 from the repo and this is what i get when trying to instal the storage driver, the others are the same:

2016-06-16 12_10_19-New notification.jpg

This is the VM config:
2016-06-16 12_07_50-proxmox - Proxmox Virtual Environment.jpg

Wrong Windows ISO. Had same problem for some time. It's depending on the Windows ISO. Use here an Windows7 Pro iso. No special media, no multilanguage.

Changing the Win7 ISO for a untouched one did the trick for the x64 VirtIO drivers!
Now... just to be shure:
If i use a fixed amount of RAM for the VM, i dont need the balloning driver or there is other reasons why i should install it?
  1. What are the qxl driver for and how/when should i install those?
  2. What are the vioserial drivers for and how/when should i install those?
  3. What are the viorng drivers for and how/when should i install those?
THX fireon for the tip!

• qxl is the graphics driver needed if you want to set SPICE for the display adapter, depending on your application and if you want to use the SPICE remote protocol, you might want it. With the default graphics it's not needed. I'm not up-to-date on the fact if SPICE is still 2D accelerated only to this day.
  • vioserial is a paravirtualized serial port. I've read that it can be used i.e. for remote kernel debugging and possibly other uses like the for communication between the Qemu guest agent and the KVM host server. The Qemu guest agent for Windows should available on the virtio-win ISO as well if I'm not mistaken.
  • viorng stands vor VirtIO RNG and exposes a paravirtualized random number generator to the VM. For details have a look at the QEMU wiki.

Hello All,

I hope this is the correct thread to post my question as it seems the best match without starting a fresh thread.

I have been using the VirtIO 0.1.81 drivers for about a year with almost no issues.

However, now I am experiencing random crashes which is pointing to the VirtIIO driver.

I tried to update the Network driver first, to the stable version 0.1.102 (April 2015) but when I rebooted the Windows 7 Pro VM, the system had 'lost' the 2 network adapters.

Fortunately, I was able to "roll back" the driver to the previous working version.

So, my questions are:-

1. Is there a correct way to do this?
2. Should I be going for the latest driver 0.0.108-2 (June 2016) instead?
3. What about the other Balloon and Block drivers?

Thanks in advance.

Paully

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.4-150 (running kernel: 2.6.32-37-pve)
pve-manager: 3.4-3 (running version: 3.4-3/2fc72fee)
pve-kernel-2.6.32-32-pve: 2.6.32-136
pve-kernel-2.6.32-37-pve: 2.6.32-150
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.7-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.10-2
pve-cluster: 3.0-16
qemu-server: 3.4-3
pve-firmware: 1.1-4
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-24
libpve-access-control: 3.0-16
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-32
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-3
vncterm: 1.1-8
vzctl: 4.0-1pve6
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.2-8
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-1

hmm, strange. I always had/have no problem with 0.1.81 with Windows7. But you say:
However, now I am experiencing random crashes which is pointing to the VirtIIO driver.
Is this only one machine, this are more, or all win7 machines?

Maybe an Windows Update. We have here no Problem with Windows7.

All new machines up to Win10 we use the new driver 0.126. This is working also fine. With Win7 i haven't tested.

Normaly an Upgrade shouldn't be an Problem. You can go on Devicemanager an Upgrade every part you need. Use Qemuagent too!

hmm, strange. I always had/have no problem with 0.1.81 with Windows7.
Is this only one machine, this are more, or all win7 machines?
Maybe an Windows Update. We have here no Problem with Windows7.
All new machines up to Win10 we use the new driver 0.126. This is working also fine. With Win7 i haven't tested.
Normaly an Upgrade shouldn't be an Problem. You can go on Devicemanager an Upgrade every part you need. Use Qemuagent too!

Thanks for your reply fireon.

This is just 1 x Windows 7 Pro VM.

I have found the culprit - Java 8 - it maxed the CPU to 100%, now it is removed.

I shall try an upgrade of each driver. is there a best order? e.g. disk, network, balloon?

Ah, I do not have the qemuagent. How do I install that? Is there a standalone Windows package please?

Paully

No special order.

OK, for the network card driver, what happens if Windows 'loses' the settings for 2 x cards after updating the driver?

This happened last time I tried an update, and the system is crucial to the network.

Should it keep it's IP address, domain network type, and card settings after the update?

Should it keep it's IP address, domain network type, and card settings after the update?
Most likely not. So it is importent set every interface to DHCP, if not you confilcts in the registry. Same thing for migrations from PHY to PVE.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!