Which disk configuration should I use?

Technikboy04

May 7, 2021
Hello together,

I have a dedicated server with 64gib of RAM and following disks:

500gib ssd
2x 2tib HDDs
no raid controller

i am planning one vm with a Nextcloud installation, one Apache vm and a Game Server vm on my proxmox installation.

my question is, how I should configure my disk.

Proxmox on the SSD and one zfs mirror with the HDDs?
or shouldn’t I use a raid1 and only backup my vms which are on the HDD located to the other HDD?

I have also red, that when the proxmox disk fails it is "easy" to install proxmox on a new one. Is it true, or do I need also a mirror for the host disk?

I am happy of any form of help from you.

I have also red, that when the proxmox disk fails it is "easy" to install proxmox on a new one. Is it true, or do I need also a mirror for the host disk?
Depends on how heavily you customize your installation.

or shouldn’t I use a raid1 and only backup my vms which are on the HDD located to the other HDD?
Depends on if you prefer backups or availability. If you have only a ZFS mirror and something goes wrong within a VM then it goes wrong on both disks.

Proxmox on the SSD and one zfs mirror with the HDDs?
Depends on how much storage your VMs require. Generally it is not necessary that Proxmox VE itself has a super fast disk.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!