When disabling CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Proxmox won't boot

thierrybla

Apr 15, 2019
Hi guys,

Nowadays I usually boot with CSM (Compatibility Support Module) on via Legacy mode.
However I would like to boot using UEFI mode so when I turn of CSM and boot it will throw me into initramfs and throw me an error.

The error is "Cannot import 'rpool' unsupported version or feature", "This pool uses the following feature(s) not supported by this system: com.delphix:log_spacemap"
I have no idea what this means and googling it doesn't really result in any obvious answers to me (or I just simply don't understand them).

Could someone help me out with this issue? Does this mean I need to do a clean install?

See attach files for a screenshot of the whole window I see in initramfs for more info.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_181257.jpg
    IMG_20210721_181257.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 35
Hi,
The error is "Cannot import 'rpool' unsupported version or feature", "This pool uses the following feature(s) not supported by this system: com.delphix:log_spacemap"
I have no idea what this means and googling it doesn't really result in any obvious answers to me (or I just simply don't understand them).
It means that whatever initrd gets selected if you boot in EFI mode is probably generated from an older kernel that does not support the ZFS features in use. It loads the v0.8.5-pve1 version of the module, so could it be that you booted a kernel with ZFS 2.0.x and upgraded the root pool?

Could someone help me out with this issue? Does this mean I need to do a clean install?
Normally this should be repairable, as, if I read correctly, you can still boot when using CSM it would be a matter of generating + syncing a newer initrd to the EFI System Partition (ESP). Basically following this how-to:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS:_Switch_Legacy-Boot_to_Proxmox_Boot_Tool

To talk specifics it would be first good to know a few things about your setup:
  • What Proxmox VE Version are you currently updated too?
  • What Proxmox VE Release did you used to install this host?
  • Did you install the host in UEFI mode and then switched to using CSM?

Hey Lamprecht, Thanks for your help.

To answer your questions, Yes I upgraded the pool when ZFS 2.0 came out.
My Current update is 7.0 (latest).
I am not exactly sure what version I had when I installed it originally, but I assume that it was a year ago (using the latest at the time).
Also I'm unsure what mode I used to install proxmox, however I do vaguely remember that I tried to install with UEFI at first but something didn't work right with GPU passthrough which was fixed by switching to CSM (not using GPU passthrough anymore).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!