VirtIO Drivers Baked Into Windows ISO

Evil

Jan 22, 2023
First off I would like thank the staff at Proxmox, they have done an amazing job in creating this virtualization and without them I would not be able to explore these options.

I am curious as to why this is happening and hopefully someone can point me to the right direction. I installed a fresh copy of Windows Server 2022 Standard then added the VirtIO drivers provided from Proxmox's wiki. From there I ended up using sysprep and Windows ADK to bake the VirtIO drivers into a Windows ISO so I wouldn't have to continually do this process over and over again. Upon creating a new VM with the new ISO that contains the VirtIO drivers, it wasn't able to see the SCSI hard drive without loading the VirtIO driver. This got me thinking that I messed something up during the process of creating the new ISO so I made another hard drive but this time it was a SATA drive. Naturally Windows can see the SATA drives so I just let the new Windows ISO install on that drive for testing. The installation was successful without any issues and when I loaded into the desktop, I could see the network drive was already installed, perfect! From there I turned the VM off, added a SCSI drive, loaded back into windows and windows could see the SCSI drive.

So my problem is during the installation of Windows, the drivers are not loaded and have to be manually loaded to see any SCSI drives. How can I bake the VirtIO drivers into the installation of Windows?

For future reference, I would gladly share the Windows Server 2022 ISO with VirtIO drivers baked in to help people avoid this issue in the future.

Thanks for anyone's help

Evil

Last edited:
You can prepare a .vfd floppy drive, this .vfd floppy drive contains drivers such as scsi, and the key self-response script autounattend.xml.

Among them, the self-response script autounattend.xml needs to be configured to automatically install drivers such as scsi.

Then mount the .vfd floppy drive to the virtual machine, such as adding the virtual machine configuration file:
-args: -fda /path/to/auto_install_windows_drivers.vfd

Alternatively, to not fiddle with "args" parameters, add a second CD-Rom drive with the VirtIO ISO. Then you can also select drivers in the installer at the "select disk" stage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!