USB ethernet adapter and Kali Linux virtual machine

HLPCLC

Mar 3, 2023
Hello! I am trying to set up a Kali Linux virtual in my home lab for use with a mirrored port, or multiple mirrored ports and wireshark. I used this video to set up proxmox and Kali Linux:

https://youtu.be/_u8qTN3cCnQ

My issue is that I have one ethernet port on my Laptop, and have another one on a USB Dongle. I'd like the main interface (laptop NIC) to allow Kali to communicate over the network and internet, and it works fine in bridged mode. However, the bridged adapter set up in proxmox also acts on the USB dongle ethernet adapter: separate interfaces aren't showing for both the USB dongle interface and the built-in NIC of the proxmox server.

After solving this, I'd like to monitor traffic in my home via a mirrored switch port, on both sides of my WAN, before and after firewall filtering. I'd also instead like to route my WAN through my USB interface and out my ethernet interface for a pfSense in-line Virtual IDS system, separate from my bare metal pfSense.

Does anyone know how to make USB ethernet adapters work correctly in proxmox? Thanks! Additionally, for the mirrored port monitoring, I'd like to only receive traffic on whichever interface I choose, and not let traffic back out of the wire.

Last edited:
Hello! I am trying to set up a Kali Linux virtual in my home lab for use with a mirrored port, or multiple mirrored ports and wireshark. I used this video to set up proxmox and Kali Linux:

https://youtu.be/_u8qTN3cCnQ

My issue is that I have one ethernet port on my Laptop, and have another one on a USB Dongle. I'd like the main interface (laptop NIC) to allow Kali to communicate over the network and internet, and it works fine in bridged mode. However, the bridged adapter set up in proxmox also acts on the USB dongle ethernet adapter: separate interfaces aren't showing for both the USB dongle interface and the built-in NIC of the proxmox server.

A solution would be to make an entry for USB adapter in cat /etc/udev/rules.d/90-persistent-net.rules and define a "pretty name" for it, e.g. "enu0" - then you will see it after the next reboot as a NIC. But the question is whether it's necessary in the current case - see below.

After solving this, I'd like to monitor traffic in my home via a mirrored switch port, on both sides of my WAN, before and after firewall filtering. I'd also instead like to route my WAN through my USB interface and out my ethernet interface for a pfSense in-line Virtual IDS system, separate from my bare metal pfSense.

Does anyone know how to make USB ethernet adapters work correctly in proxmox? Thanks! Additionally, for the mirrored port monitoring, I'd like to only receive traffic on whichever interface I choose, and not let traffic back out of the wire.

In case of connecting a VM via bridge traffic to it is in a normal case only forwarded if the destination address matches with the one of the virtual NIC in the VM. Since for port mirroring this is not sufficient the easiest solution in the current case is to assing the USB ethernet adapter to the VM. Then it would be a normal hardware NIC in the VM connected directly with the mirror port.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!