Unexpected reboots every day

dragoniil

Jul 13, 2022
Hello

My hosted PVE server reboots itself and I'm not sure why. Anyone who can help me decipher the PVE syslog for clues? Around Mar 06 07:32:01 there is a "--Reboot--" logged.
From my findings it seems that the reboot is not related to system load or temperature it reboots when the system is not in heavy use or in idle.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    381.8 KB · Views: 7
Hi,
since this is not a graceful reboot, I would start debugging by checking memory with a memtest and if there is a newer firmware version available. Also, check the power supply and maybe test if the issue persists with a different kernel.

I did the mem tests, passed all of them 4 times without any errors, i have a mini pc, with an intel celeron N5105, during the mem test it hit a max of 80C degree but never shut down.

If it reboots randomly when it is idle maybe it could be related to C states should i try to disable them?

Regarding the kernel how i can install a different version of it?

I did the mem tests, passed all of them 4 times without any errors, i have a mini pc, with an intel celeron N5105, during the mem test it hit a max of 80C degree but never shut down.

If it reboots randomly when it is idle maybe it could be related to C states should i try to disable them?

Regarding the kernel how i can install a different version of it?
You can select the kernel in the GRUB menu during boot. Also, you could test with the latest 6.1 opt-in kernel for PVE, see https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/opt-in-linux-6-1-kernel-for-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.119483/

I also updated the kernel to 6.1.14-1-pve and the reboots got more often, from 1 per day to multiple per day

EDIT:
i updated the microcode to 0x24000024, date = 2022-09-02

reboots still happen

Last edited:
I'm also experiencing rebooting about 3 - 6 times a day with no log other than --reboot-- on 7.4 and kernel 5.15. Did you ever find a solution?

Reboots happening with me with Promox 8.0.3 as well.
Everything is normal.
Did this just start happening to you after a specific update like me or it's happened to you since the beginning?

What are the specs of the machine you're running it on?

Hi,
please provide more detailed information about your hardware and also test using the latest 6.2 kernel.

Hi,
please provide more detailed information about your hardware and also test using the latest 6.2 kernel.
Hi Chris,

Just tried the 6.2 and have had one restart since the update at 9:00 AM PST.

I made a post about this last night here Constant Reboots, which has more details including hardware specs.

Any other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

late update here: the issue was a faulty capacitor on the motherboard it still worked on high or low loads but stopped at random times, after changing it the pc never rebooted again

Reactions: leesteken
since updating to proxmox 8 keep getting multiple reboots
but its only the one running all the VM's the idle ones seem to be ok
I might just have to migrate the VM's to another machine and see what happens

what is the best place to look or enable a log to work out reason for reboot ?

also just before reboot this happens

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ***key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:****
Please contact your system administrator.

but then it will connect for a few seconds before the reboot

since updating to proxmox 8 keep getting multiple reboots
but its only the one running all the VM's the idle ones seem to be ok
I might just have to migrate the VM's to another machine and see what happens

what is the best place to look or enable a log to work out reason for reboot ?

you can check the journal (e.g., journalctl -b-1 should print the logs from the previous boot). in some cases of hard crashing, that will be incomplete, and you either need to forward the logs somewhere (e.g., via netconsole/serial console/..) or view them directly (e.g., via IPMI/an attached monitor) to get the full picture.

also just before reboot this happens

@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ***key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:****
Please contact your system administrator.

but then it will connect for a few seconds before the reboot

where/when does this happen exactly?

Actually I think I found the issue a random new container on another node was getting the same IP as the Proxmox VE server via DHCP so every-time the DHCP renewed the IP of the container it caused the main P-VE to reboot

not that any error showed in the logs but it seemed as soon as it got IP blocked it would reboot

but that would expain the finger print changing o_O

Reactions: MisterY
that seems like a plausible explanation, especially if you have HA enabled and corosync failed to communicate as a result of the network change.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!