[SOLVED] Unable to open console to Ubuntu 16.04 container on Proxmox 7.1 with systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0

ykrons

Feb 8, 2022
Hi,

I'm trying to install a new container with Ubuntu 16.04 on Proxmox 7.1.
According to https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pct.html#pct_cgroup_compat, it is possible with customized boot options.
I have followed recommendations and I can see that my kernel cmdline is properly updated.

However if I create a simple container with Ubuntu16 template, I get strange problems when I start it:
* I'm not able to open a console
* the Web interface of the node that runs the CT is not reachable anymore
* I'm not able to ssh anymore on the node
* The node is seen up by other node of the cluster
* rebooting the reboot (stopped the CT), and I'm able to reach again the node via Web interface and ssh

Is there a customization I have forgotten?

Thanks

Hi,

Was finally able to solve the problems.
1. As my node has not been moved to DHCP after installation (as it should), I've got a conflict of IP between my container and the host
2. tty console is not showing any logging. Switching to "/dev/console" solve the issue. And I can see message "A start job is running for Raise network interfaces"
3. thanks to https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/a-start-job-is-running-for-raise-network-interfaces.32936/, I have switch IPV6 from DHCP to SLAAC

After these 3 steps I was able to boot my Ubuntu 16 container properly !

Hope it could help the next one trying to do the same ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!