unable to install: "no cdrom found"

jim.bond.9862

Apr 17, 2015
Hi Proxmox, @fabian
I'm also tried many many things with rufus, etch etc and always "no cdrom found".
I also plugged a CD/DVD drive with burned ISO in my Supermicro and also, no cdrom found... really??
What is the problem here? That should not happen, I'm in an POC and it looks like I have to go with vSphere :-(
I have never had issues with actual CD/DVD disks. A usb drive needs a little TCL now and then but cd always works.

cshabazian

Jul 19, 2019
I've got this issue also, and it is consistent when I try to use a usb drive that has multiple ISO files on it.

In my case, I use www dot winsetupfromusb dot com to put ISO images on an all encompassing USB drive. I can then use that drive to install (or run live images) any of a dozen+ distributions (RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Debian, Windows 10, HP Service Pack, RescueCD, VMWare ESXi, etc.).

The only image that doesn't work is proxmox. Both the 5.4 and 6.0 ISO's run into the dreaded no cdrom problem.

It appears to be something in the installer that is looking for the actual /dev/cdrom device.

Sure would be nice if there was a work around for this.

t.lamprecht

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Jul 28, 2015
South Tyrol/Italy
when I try to use a usb drive that has multiple ISO files on it.
That's not something we try to support, or test, just FYI.

It appears to be something in the installer that is looking for the actual /dev/cdrom device.
No there isn't any such limiting mechanism you trying to suggest. We go over all block devices, filter out any partition of iso9660 type, mount it and check if it's the correct version (i.e., the same which the booted initrd has) to ensure we do not install or boot something not wanted.

With 6.0 a "skipped-devs.txt" list of block devices skipped get produced you could start with posting that one and the messages before and after the "no cdrom" error (screenshot works too), you may want to use the "Debug Mode" when booting to make it easier to get those details.

cshabazian

Jul 19, 2019
The ISO Image boots, displays:
Proxmox startup
mounts proc and sys
comandline: all the options
mobprobe: ERROR for hp_accel
searching for cdrom
testing device '/dev/sr0' for CDROM ID
testing again in 5 seconds
testing device '/dev/sdb' for CDROM ID
no cdrom found
unable to continue (type exit or CTRL-D to reboot)

I've got all the dmesg output as well if that will help.

Phlogi

Jul 21, 2015
I can confirm this issue with proxmox 6.0-1 iso put on an USB stick. This same test hardware is able to boot linux from usb sticks without issue, e.g. manjaro.
There seems to be a serious regression here.

The ISO Image boots, displays:
Proxmox startup
mounts proc and sys
comandline: all the options
mobprobe: ERROR for hp_accel
searching for cdrom
no cdrom found
unable to continue (type exit or CTRL-D to reboot)

I've got all the dmesg output as well if that will help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!