Two-Cluster Setup containing 5 nodes Each

alexip

May 26, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to configure two separate clusters which I need to run. Each cluster will contain 5 nodes - 4 Dell R720s and a supermicro 36-bay server for the storage making it 8 Dells and 2 Supermicros in total. The Supermicros will house 20 x 14TB SATA drives per node.

Focusing on one cluster for now - I need the Dells to be the compute nodes, this is simple enough.

For the Supermicro storage, I would like to know whether I can configure the storage nodes as a cephfs filesystem. As I understand the configuration, this will be 20 osds meaning that my placement groups should be 2048 per node. Is is correct? I can add additional Supermicros in the future if need be and expand the storage.

Please let me know if you require any more details.

Thank you very much.

Hi,

Ceph needs mini 3 nodes and the osd count on the nodes should be the same.
So with single storage node per cluster you can make NAS.

Reactions: alexip
Hi,

Ceph needs mini 3 nodes and the osd count on the nodes should be the same.
So with single storage node per cluster you can make NAS.
Hi wolfgang,

Thank you for your reply. I could get a third supermicro and configure ceph on the three provided they all have the same amount of drives. This will work, correct? In the future, I can then add additional nodes for storage.

If you can get a third node which is the same as the other two supermicros, I would recommend you to set up 3 Clusters. 1 Storage Cluster and 2 Compute Clusters.
This is the best in case of planing and guarantee resources.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!