Software Defined Storage Solution

Younex

Jan 30, 2018
Hi Guys.

I´m thinking of using either TrueNAS or Windows Server with it´s Storage capabilites.

I´m not really sure which one to focus to have it as a Storage backend for my proxmox cluster which consist of 5 nodes.

Mainly i want to have a very fast storage with high IO. Disks and everything will be planned accordingly.
Just the SDS solution i´m not sure which to use.

I don´t need the snapshot feature, replication and some others of ZFS, just a very fast SDS.

Can some of you guys give me some feedback if any using for production with Proxmox:
-Windows Server Storage-Capabilites (via iSCSI or NFS) with Proxmox
or TrueNAS

and what is your experience.

Thank you!

Last edited:
There is a wide range of solutions and the best for you will depend on many factors:
- Hobby vs Business
- Budget
- Technology familiarity
- Defining what "fast" means
- High Availability requirements

Its not clear from your OP if you were planning to run the "storage" inside Proxmox as VM or externally?

The best results would be achieved with a completely independent storage system, connected via 10Gbit, preferably 25Gbit or higher.
If you need High Availability - you have to go with TrueNAS Enterprise which carries a license cost. I am not an expert on Microsoft licensing, but pretty sure that you will have to pay to build a proper cluster. Without HA - storage is a single point of failure, which may be ok for a HomeLab.

You could also build a DIY HA storage with two servers and JBOD, layering an appropriate "clustered" file system on top. There are many guides on the internet.

Finally, there is also Blockbridge - we offer Software Defined Storage on commodity NVMe based hardware. From performance perspective - our latency is sub 100usec, i.e. NVMe. We are providing iSCSI block storage so it can be used as "shared" storage in Proxmox and any other Hypervisor/system. Our Proxmox Storage Plugin allows you to use all the familiar Proxmox management.

Our standard recommended platforms are Highly Available with flexible front-end networking. Snapshots are fully supported.

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!