Smaller size OSD - bigger VM, what happening? Ceph OSD, replication settings.

MrBruce

Mar 7, 2020
Hi!

Please help me understand for be clear:

Example for sure, all works fine, Ceph health OK, VMs are stored in Ceph, by default only node1 running a VMs:

node1: 1000 GB OSD (1 HDD)
node2: 1000 GB OSD (1 HDD)
node3: 1000 GB OSD (1 HDD)
node4: 500 GB OSD (1 HDD)
node5: 500 GB + 500 GB OSD (2 HDD)
node6: 250 GB + 250 GB + 250 GB + 250 GB OSD (4 HDD)
node7: 250 GB OSD (1 HDD)

I set:

Code:
ceph osd pool set data size 7
Code:
ceph osd pool set data min_size 2

And I adding to Ceph data pool 200 GB size of VM. All works fine and VM running on node1.

Question1: This time, will work fine, and all of node will have 1 copy of 200 GB VM if synchronized and Ceph status ok, right?

Question2: If random 5 node down, Ceph will still works, right? After other nodes back, will sync and Ceph health OK?

Question3: If VM running on node1 and only also available node7, cluster and VM still works fine with node1 and node7 online, and other 5 nodes are offline right?

Question4: What happening, if this 200 GB VM grows to 300 GB?
My theory: Node7 cannot store a replica because of out of space, so only 6 available replica will be, and will also works in node6. No quorum, right?

Question5: Shall I change this time "ceph osd pool set data size 6" or "ceph osd pool set data size 5" ? 5 for quorum, right? From default value at this example is 7.

Question6: If I have 6 node but I set "ceph osd pool set data size 5" what happening? randomly storing 5 replica of VM in 6 machine? So no 100% backup at 1 or more node? Or if I have 6 node, shat I should set? (I know, odd number of nodes are recommended, like 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 ... )

I set back all to default:
Code:
ceph osd pool set data size 7
Code:
ceph osd pool set data min_size 2

Question7: What happening, if this 200 GB vm grows to 600 GB?
My theory: Node4 and node7 cannot store a replica because of out of space (node4: only 500 GB and node7: only 250 GB), so only 5 available replica will be, and will also works in node6. Error messages I will see or something? Ceph health will be not OK, right?

Question8: What happening, if in Q7 situation, where a VMs is 600 GB but only 5 node can store 600+ GB or more, I set "ceph osd pool set data size 5" ?
My theory: Ceph health will be OK. And Node 4 and node7 will store only partial of VM data, not full?

Question9: Extending Q7. What happening if still 600 GB VMs and still "ceph osd pool set data size 7" but I add more OSDs to node4 and node7, like this:
node4: 500 GB OSD + 1000 GB (2 HDD)
node7: 250 GB OSD + 1000 GB (2 HDD)

My theory: after sync back node4 and node7, Ceph will be OK, because now can store all of 7 node at least 600GB, right?

Also you can add more questions to my topic just please add a unique Question id, like Q10, Q11, etc :)
I think this can helpful for other newbies like me.
Please, if you can answer for at least only 1 question, post here and help me. Sorry for my English. Thank you.

Last edited:
In short to all of your questions. Never let Ceph run full! All IO will stop when the limit is hit. It is also very unlikely that 5 out of 7 nodes will die at the same time. Ceph is self-healing, so if a node is down the data will be redistributed to meet the size of replicas again.

Reactions: MrBruce
In short to all of your questions. Never let Ceph run full! All IO will stop when the limit is hit. It is also very unlikely that 5 out of 7 nodes will die at the same time. Ceph is self-healing, so if a node is down the data will be redistributed to meet the size of replicas again.

Sadly I not clearly understand. So if I have 7 nodes and data_min size = 2 and 5 node down it will not working? Or not recommended to use this?

So if I have 7 nodes and data_min size = 2 and 5 node down it will not working? Or not recommended to use this?
It can work. But the performance will not be great and a lot more space will be used.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!