[SOLVED] Shared SAN inkl. Snapshots Unterstützung

NojuHD

May 1, 2022
Hallo zusammen,

gibt es aktuell Pläne einer Verwirklichung von SAN (iSCSI / SCSI) Support mit Snapshot Funktion bzw. den offiziellen Support eines shared Filesystems um qcow2 verwenden zu können?

Falls nicht, gibt es eine Empfehlung welches shared Filesystem hier evtl. gut und sicher in einer produktiven Umgebung zu verwenden wäre?

VG

gibt es aktuell Pläne einer Verwirklichung von SAN (iSCSI / SCSI) Support mit Snapshot Funktion bzw. den offiziellen Support eines shared Filesystems um qcow2 verwenden zu können?
Ersteres kann ZFS-over-iSCSI schon, ist offiziell unterstützt und das läuft gut - habe es selbst produktiv im Einsatz. Wenn du qcow2 willst, ist SAN nicht das richtige für dich (also block-storage), sondern da würde ich mich lieber nach einem NAS (file-storage) umschauen.
Es gibt z.B. von Blockridge auch SANs mit Snapshot und PVE-Support, da der Hersteller schon vor langer Zeit erkannt hat, dass man PVE auch unterstützen sollte, aber viele Hersteller bieten das halt noch nicht an für die klassischen SANs. Entweder warten oder halt direkt zu einem Hersteller wechseln, der das kann. Ich denke Blockridge hat hier aktuell einen echten Zulauf durch die VMware-Abwanderung. Wenn du Fragen hast kannst du bestimmt @bbgeek17 auf Englisch fragen, der arbeitet dort.

Thank you for the mention @lxncar.

@NojuHD - as was mentioned, the only way to get native snapshot support with standard SAN is by integrating with every SAN's vendor API/CLI. Many times the same vendor will have more than one product line, with each one having its API. As you can imagine - thats not realistic for PVE developers.
As you correctly observed, the other option is clustered filesystem. The primary options are probably OCFS and GFS, with other, less popular, options available. However, managing them is not part of PVE and, my guess, is unlikely to change.

That said, I think I saw stuff members saying on the forum that running one does not disqualify you from support. It is just that you will not get it for storage-related issues. So it will be completely up to you to: install, configure and maintain the clustered filesystem over the lifetime of your Proxmox cluster.

So, there is no official recommendation of a Cluster Aware Filesystem that you should pick. You have to do your research and trial to pick what works best for you.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: NojuHD
Ersteres kann ZFS-over-iSCSI schon, ist offiziell unterstützt und das läuft gut - habe es selbst produktiv im Einsatz. Wenn du qcow2 willst, ist SAN nicht das richtige für dich (also block-storage), sondern da würde ich mich lieber nach einem NAS (file-storage) umschauen.
Es gibt z.B. von Blockridge auch SANs mit Snapshot und PVE-Support, da der Hersteller schon vor langer Zeit erkannt hat, dass man PVE auch unterstützen sollte, aber viele Hersteller bieten das halt noch nicht an für die klassischen SANs. Entweder warten oder halt direkt zu einem Hersteller wechseln, der das kann. Ich denke Blockridge hat hier aktuell einen echten Zulauf durch die VMware-Abwanderung. Wenn du Fragen hast kannst du bestimmt @bbgeek17 auf Englisch fragen, der arbeitet dort.

Danke für die Antwort, ich habe leider nicht die Freiheit mir die Storage-Solution auszusuchen, da bereits ein bestehendes SAN verwendet werden soll und aktuell die Überlegung im Raum stand, zu Proxmox zu wechseln. Wenn ich die freie Wahl hätte, wäre ich sofort bei einem HCI Ceph Cluster. :)

Thank you for the mention @lxncar.

@NojuHD - as was mentioned, the only way to get native snapshot support with standard SAN is by integrating with every SAN's vendor API/CLI. Many times the same vendor will have more than one product line, with each one having its API. As you can imagine - thats not realistic for PVE developers.
As you correctly observed, the other option is clustered filesystem. The primary options are probably OCFS and GFS, with other, less popular, options available. However, managing them is not part of PVE and, my guess, is unlikely to change.

That said, I think I saw stuff members saying on the forum that running one does not disqualify you from support. It is just that you will not get it for storage-related issues. So it will be completely up to you to: install, configure and maintain the clustered filesystem over the lifetime of your Proxmox cluster.

So, there is no official recommendation of a Cluster Aware Filesystem that you should pick. You have to do your research and trial to pick what works best for you.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thank you for the helpful Answer,

that is all the information I needed :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!