[SOLVED] Samsung SM883/PM883 SATA SSDs for ZFS RAID1?

r0PVEMox

Jun 21, 2020
So far I've read the Samsung SM883 would be great in general. Would that be so? There are also PM883s and cost 50% compared to the SM883. Are they both do their job, without queuing a regular (VM) Windows 10 update for example? I've been using 2 PNY CS900 and they hit the limit pretty fast. Makes them kind useless for my usage.

using zfs on ssd with TLC or QLC (like pny cs900) will quickly slow down.
on these ssd, to get perf & regular "wear" prefer lvmthin + daily backup on second ssd
or, if you need mirror, lvm can do but manual Setup + vdisk as qcow2

for zfs, iirc : it need synchronous writes to ensure integrity. so write performance will be poor if you haven't power protection inside the ssd like entreprise grade like SM883/PM883.
You can pveperf to get your fsync.
iirc, you can use writecache more safety too with entreprise grades.

Last edited:
thanks for correction, i've edited.
high fsync and endurance are thanks to its PLP + over provisionning

Thanks for your help. The PM883 might be a decent solution. Moving from ashift=12 to ashift=9, improved the speed a lot on the PNYs, but the IO is terrible. Until upgrading to better disks, I'll try to optimize the set a bit more.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!