ProxmoxVE will change LICENCE?

Your patch removes enterprise subscription features, which we do not want to promote here. Therefore, I removed/edited your posting.

Stupid patch too because much easier ways to remove the nag screen ...

Your patch removes enterprise subscription features, which we do not want to promote here. Therefore, I removed/edited your posting.

Hi Tom,

I understand if you don't want that posted on your forum. It is your forum, after all. Users who need help can use Google.

Hi Tom,

I understand if you don't want that posted on your forum. It is your forum, after all. Users who need help can use Google.

You are allowed to change the code as all is aGPLv3. but note, by every update from any repo your changes will be overwritten. so I assume most will accept the little hint or just go for the subscription - which we lowered from 9,90 to 4.16 per month - which seems affordable for me. We do not display ads, we do not sell user data, we do not remove features. Just a small hint which can be removed by paying a few euros.

don´t forget, the more subscriptions are sold, more can be invested in the project, test lab, bug fixes, features and services. So if you promote not paying, at the end you also do not benefit from the progress - so maybe you re-think again about your post on your personal blog.

That, indeed, would be great, but I see a problem there: You could (in theory) just buy a monthly subscription every three monthes, run the updates and let the subscription expire…

To be honest, I also believe that this would top up the administrative work for proxmox big time - so probably a 3-month or 6-month subscription would be more practical.

You can run 3.1 w/o subscription, too - but not with the enterprise repository. Which, as far as I am concerned, is fair.

I have a subscription for all my servers and am going to buy licenses for all of my customers servers. Now that the login screen shows up I have a good argument for them to buy subscription services :)

Perhaps I should think about becoming a reseller...

I stay with 2 Sockets most of the time. If you want a modestly priced infrastructure you're stuck with 1-2 Sockets - otherwise it's going to be really expensive. I run a hosting-business besides my day-to-day-work. I don't have to live from it - but I don't want to put money form my other job in it. In short: It has to be self-paying.

My overall budget there is about 10-20k/year - and this works just fine...

Tobias

There is no additional administration work. Modernbill, kayako, etc all used to have monthly leased licenses and its easy to track ... I can write it up quickly. And its easy to figure out who's abusing the system and ban them ... but frankly the incremental business you get from guys who can't / don't want to commit to a year will be more than worth it because this is INCREMENTAL revenues.

Then provide people with a slight discount for annual and you're golden ... simple finance

There is no additional administration work.

ha, it gets a bit funny now. You are the one who just ordered 2 times the wrong thing, and shortly after activation canceled the order and asked for refund?
This is much administration overhead, and it will grow by a factor 12 with monthly payment.

Dear Proxmox and Community

I installed Proxmox today. I was simply using ssh forwarding and virt-manager, which worked, but certainly had frustrations. Proxmox provided me with something amazing. They provided me many options for storage, kvm/qemu and networking with seamless integration in a beautiful web GUI - something AFAIK I just can not get anywhere else. I was going to roll my own, but I am no linux guru. This will undoubtedly save me much time and frustration.

I have to admit, I was a bit dismayed and I am a bit nervous that Proxmox will go down the commercial path and all but forget about us little guys - the "tinkerers" and small-org people that may not have a lot of money but try to give back to the community with donations and contributions to the source/dev of projects that are critical to the overall project. It started with this message, that seemingly would not go away. However, upon reading the replies I am confident that the proxmox team with all their hard work will make the right decisions. Once the panic died down, I looked at the subscription plans: a paltry € 4,16/mo/cpu is more than fair compensation for the hard work, IMHO. I shudder at the idea [READ: WORK] of making KVM/QEMU/Open-Vswitch/SPICE etc. all work together seamlessly in a web interface they way they have done. So all things considered, I support this move and I'd like to thank proxmox for all the hard work and dedication to a business model that both supports their own efforts and respects their community and FOSS. Well done. :cool:

Best of luck going forward.

I think we can be rest assured, Proxmox is not going commercial. They share our heart ❤ about the technology, and work from our perspective - the community!
Proxmox has proved time and time again that they are people just like us.
Have fun with the excellent product that we call Proxmox because it is beyond fantastic software. I'm not sure if the developers are Christian, but the software is a godsend... It is the Paul of virtualization.

I will probably get censored because of all this politically incorrect conversation. But it's hard to hold back my passion about this subject

Hi Ray,

I think we can be rest assured, Proxmox is not going commercial. They share our heart ❤ about the technology, and work from our perspective - the community!
Proxmox has proved time and time again that they are people just like us.

Yes. And the licensing is really fair - just added a new machine... very fair and fast deployment.

To be honest: I'd rather pay double the amount than having to change to another product because proxmox stops developing it.

Have fun with the excellent product that we call Proxmox because it is beyond fantastic software. I'm not sure if the developers are Christian, but the software is a godsend... It is the Paul of virtualization.

I will probably get censored because of all this politically incorrect conversation. But it's hard to hold back my passion about this subject

... for my part... I don't like to have religion in a technical discussion. This has nothing to do with christianity (or any other religion). And it's not the Paul of virtualization. not at all.

Sorry.

Hi,

I completely understand your matter as I myself are running a nonprofit-hosting for several customers. I, on the other hand, do understand Proxmox very well. The effort they're putting in the solution as well as supporting it (even on the forum which is taking time of the people working at proxmox) - great service.

If I compare the pricing with VMWare, RedHat KVM or any other subscription I really think there's no way of not going to buy a license.

To be honest:
- Ubuntu Canonical isn't free - and IIRC far higher than the €50/Socket for proxmox
- Oracle VDI (which no longer exists) has a tremendously high price per socket
- VMWare ESXi is free - true. But to get the Life Migration Features it'll cost you IIRC USD300/Socket/Year.

So, please, don't make a drama out of this. You still actually *can* use Proxmox for free - with two "disadvantages":
- Reminder when logging in
- Faster (but maybe less stable) updates.

I see no way why this is going to hurt.

Tobias

Bit late to this but my 2 cents. The comparison from Proxmox to VMware seems a little vague as this depends entirely on whether you are a service provider or not. Proxmox for a service provider is actually in many cases more expensive than VMware (by about £2000 per month income on our calculations). VMware may be more expensive if you buy a license outright but then it's yours and no forced yearly subscription needed. When doing it via the per GB as a service provider the difference is huge and you get "a lot" more useful features from VMware.

I find the basic plan in Proxmox, for what you get, is actually quite dear unless you make enormous nodes to make up for the cost. Now compare this to the higher plans and you see my point.
The reality is that not many people including service providers make such large nodes. I am talking about 32 cores and 512GB RAM

Most provider nodes are normally in the 32-64GB range and dual socket. VMware licensing is also not per core, it is per socket. This was changed a while ago.

I think Proxmox is heading in the right direction but it still costs (the subscription) a little to much for what you actually get in return.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!