ProxmoxVE will change LICENCE?

Well, I do not know what "piglover" was trying to accomplish in the thread, but the "installation and configuration" argument has been abused on me recently too, where I literally posted a PATCH on how to remove a UI element and suggested why it would be great not to have to do so. Yet the thread was closed. That's not right.
I don't care what his intentions were - I just see the point of closing down a discussion about how tu circumvent what I see as a legal way of announcing that you're not having a valid license.

On a different level, removing the warning could also be used to fool your customer into believing you actually paid for a license (because the "nag"-screen is no longer there).

... I have personally found such boxes at customers who paid a small fortune in "license"-Fees. Also, I have seen several "re-labled" proxmox installations that some company has declared as "their own development". Needless to say... it was about one year without any patches (and thus quite a dangerous thing because the server was directly reachable from the internet).

Reactions: leesteken
I don't care what his intentions were - I just see the point of closing down a discussion about how tu circumvent what I see as a legal way of announcing that you're not having a valid license.

On a different level, removing the warning could also be used to fool your customer into believing you actually paid for a license (because the "nag"-screen is no longer there).

... I have personally found such boxes at customers who paid a small fortune in "license"-Fees. Also, I have seen several "re-labled" proxmox installations that some company has declared as "their own development". Needless to say... it was about one year without any patches (and thus quite a dangerous thing because the server was directly reachable from the internet).

Alright, I do not want to hijack a thread, if you feel like, I am happy to react in the current one of mine. I believe I a made point there wrt to the "could be used" part: (second para "edit" part):

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/m...ubscription-popup-removal.153059/#post-695134

Which nag-screen? xD
Do anyone here really still "realize" that there is a Nag-Screen and removes it? xD

I kind of tried to understand from this old thread what the rationale was, not sure what to think of it.

Edit: I think Proxmox has the most unobtrusive Nag-Screen or Ads etc, that i've ever seen.
Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF9QYLOFZyE
xD

Well, one day you might get a whole milkyway-managed add-on for PVE which will also upsell you the big fries all of the time, as that is the primary focus of any GUI.

Now jokes aside, if PVE had an actual license for use of e.g. HA or other such parts that a SOHO user does not even care for, it would make more sense but they would not be testing it for free, so no that can't be ...

But maybe I do not know something, maybe PVE is secretly used at hyperscalers and this popup to all users was the business boost it needed.

Relying on a popup 10 years on ... makes one feel the business really is on the verge of bankruptcy. (This is a joke, for those who take me too seriously.)

Reactions: Ramalama

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!