ProxmoxVE will change LICENCE?

We always run through the whole internal testing process, so those packages are quite stable.

pve-no-subscription =~ pvetest
I use pvetest a lots and it's stable.
I understand the new update policy.
Hope PVE be better.

We always run through the whole internal testing process, so those packages are quite stable.

Ok, so this is getting more clear now. Could you then clarify how I can get the source (as a paying customer) of a certain package from git repository? I mean the exact version of the package. So after compiling the package I get the same version of the binary. There are no branches or tags in the git repo.

Very simple question...

Without enterprise subscription, now running 3.0. They will roll out 3.2. Can't I simply upgrade to 3.2? Also assume 3.2 got to be stable when they put on their site for Download, yes?

The best solution is to create two solutions
Community and another business, or to appeal the community to support you, many projects do it.
It is necessary that the company makes money, it's normal.
Your way is a trick. It's making fun of people, it is a commercial fault.
Just watch the story of two projects that try to do the same thing, it went wrong for them.
Mandriva and openeucalyptus.

What you've done is an absolute and utter joke.

I would've gladly donated money or bought a support subscription. When I'm saying support subscription, I am talking about paying you money to get help in case I need it, not to get the latest blessed updates you're providing.
I was just looking into Proxmox VE to set up infrastructure for a set of open source projects and I was greeted by a lovely message telling me to get a support license.

First off, I've avoided XenServer and ESXi for this very reason. I don't want a shitty subscription to get stable updates. Is it open source or is it bullshit? What you are doing now is just about repackaging open source GPL software and ask money for it. This isn't something I'm ever going to pay for. I have already donated money to a bunch of open source projects, but I'm not going to pay for binaries - NEVER EVER.

Based on the fact that I have 4 older dual socket servers, you'd get at most 4,16 euros * 4 * 2 * 12 = 399,36 euros from me. I was ready to donate 75 euros when I downloaded the Proxmox VE ISO to support the project. That's not going to happen now. Perhaps I would've accepted to pay that amount to support the development of the project, but I'm not going to do this, not after what I've read in this thread.

I'm going to look for alternatives to Proxmox VE. If there's no alternative, I'm going to start a new project based on oVirt.

sorry, but oVirt is another half past dead project (my personal opinion). You should start from getting all these proxmox stuff together by yourself. It is not that hard, when you know what to do. The hardest part will be the new web-interface :)
But calm down, it was just a big misunderstanding. Seems we are fine to run our current and maybe future projects with no-subscription repository. Just check the forum for some new light about new repos (just added).

sorry, but oVirt is another half past dead project (my personal opinion). You should start from getting all these proxmox stuff together by yourself. It is not that hard, when you know what to do. The hardest part will be the new web-interface :)
But calm down, it was just a big misunderstanding. Seems we are fine to run our current and maybe future projects with no-subscription repository. Just check the forum for some new light about new repos (just added).

I'm not interested in using anything from Proxmox VE in the new project. I don't want to help these people who've taken open source code to put it behind a paywall. Paying for tech support is one thing, paying for binaries and to have a nag screen removed is another.

Hi Guys,
just read this
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/15742-Details-about-the-new-pve-no-subscripton-repository

old repos = new repos
pvetest = don't exist anymore
stable = pve-no-subscription
/ = pve-enterprise (more tested than old stable repos)

So that's change nothing about quality, just improve quality for subscribers users with more tested packages.

Yes, it does change something, it's exactly what has been said in this thread. They're making the default repo the test repo and the "subscription" repo the real stable repo. That means everyone without a subscription will just be testing package so they can be added to the subscription repo. Basically, they've just changed the names of the repositories and they're telling us that "stable no subscription" isn't actually "pvetest".

Yes, it does change something, it's exactly what has been said in this thread. They're making the default repo the test repo and the "subscription" repo the real stable repo. That means everyone without a subscription will just be testing package so they can be added to the subscription repo. Basically, they've just changed the names of the repositories and they're telling us that "stable no subscription" isn't actually "pvetest".

Again, this is not true.
old pvetest was really a test, with packages pulled regulary from git repo with some little little tests, more for developpers than final users.
the new pve-no-subscription package will be a lot more tested.

The only difference is the nag screen at logon on gui.

(But maybe keeping the old pvetest could be better for understanding. I don't known if proxmox team have time to manage 3 differents repos)

I'm not interested in using anything from Proxmox VE in the new project. I don't want to help these people who've taken open source code to put it behind a paywall. Paying for tech support is one thing, paying for binaries and to have a nag screen removed is another.
I'm all agree.

Pay support ok
pay distribution, it must be said, this is all to make his choice.

But they have to pay when I asked, they said, is to pay the support. We are all service providers, we know that it is the support.

Want to pay Proxmox distribution? it is your right.
But stop wanting to get paid, it is hiding behind the support.

This is a lie, grotesque.

Again, this is not true.
old pvetest was really a test, with packages pulled regulary from git repo with some little little tests, more for developpers than final users.
the new pve-no-subscription package will be a lot more tested.

The only difference is the nag screen at logon on gui.

(But maybe keeping the old pvetest could be better for understanding. I don't known if proxmox team have time to manage 3 differents repos)

The "only difference" is that you're basically doing the testing for the people who are paying for a "subscription". That means everyone who doesn't have a subscription is far more likely to run into bugs and new things which can break features than those people who are paying for a subscription. You're also more likely to have some kind of mysterious crash or run into one of those 100% CPU usage bugs.

The "only difference" is that you're basically doing the testing for the people who are paying for a "subscription". That means everyone who doesn't have a subscription is far more likely to run into bugs and new things which can break features than those people who are paying for a subscription. You're also more likely to have some kind of mysterious crash or run into one of those 100% CPU usage bugs.

Ok, so I'll take ovirt as example to compare

With ovirt, you don't have a test version, so ovirt stable release are tested internally by ovirt devs.
So ovirt stable release = proxmox pve-no-subscription repo

Now, redhat RHEV is the entreprise commercial version of ovirt, with support and licenses
So RHEV users benefinit from users of ovirt.
rhev = proxmox pve-enterprise repo

Than doesn't mean than ovirt is bugged right ?

same thing for fedora/rhel

Ok, so I'll take ovirt as example to compare

With ovirt, you don't have a test version, so ovirt stable release are tested internally by ovirt devs.
So ovirt stable release = proxmox pve-no-subscription repo

Now, redhat RHEV is the entreprise commercial version of ovirt, with support and licenses
So RHEV users benefinit from users of ovirt.
rhev = proxmox pve-enterprise repo

Than doesn't mean than ovirt is bugged right ?

same thing for fedora/rhel

Does oVirt show you nag screens? Does oVirt tell you to buy a subscription? When you use oVirt, you know that you're using oVirt and that's what you get. When you use Proxmox VE, you're just being told to get a subscription every single time you log into the web interface, so no, they're not the same thing. Proxmox VE is worse.

No absolutely stable.
Sometimes pvetest get more stable than pve.
Same now pve-no-subscription vs pve-enterprise.

Stop make noise. ticsmtc

Hi everyone!

We're a non-profit organization, and is affordable is not an annual release of thousands of euro a stable release. No more thousands of euros a penny is affordable. But I do not really like to just update my version of the test systems. But is it possible that just the name scares me to "test version" and in fact, these packages have been somewhat tested in advance? If this is you propose to run as a community edition, it's really scary to the test name. If you did not pre-tested in the test running as a product, you tend to look for an alternative solution.

sorry my bad english

If you did not pre-tested in the test running as a product, you tend to look for an alternative solution.

Sorry, I do not really understand what you say. But we carefully test everything we release, and our software is very stable.

Hi everyone!

We're a non-profit organization, and is affordable is not an annual release of thousands of euro a stable release. No more thousands of euros a penny is affordable. But I do not really like to just update my version of the test systems. But is it possible that just the name scares me to "test version" and in fact, these packages have been somewhat tested in advance? If this is you propose to run as a community edition, it's really scary to the test name. If you did not pre-tested in the test running as a product, you tend to look for an alternative solution.

sorry my bad english

The name is not "test version" or "pvetest" it is "pve-no-subscription." "pve-enterprise" is a paid set of patches that are released fewer and slower than "pve-no-subscription" for people super-conservative about changes (like me). To the best I understand, no patch goes to "pve-enterprise" that did not first go to "pve-no-subscription."

The whole idea that "pve-no-subscription" is unstable/testing/experimental and "pve-enterprise" is a different set of secret stable patches only for paying customers is false and spread to scare you by people angry because they cannot have free membership to the new "enterprise" club. Unfortunately, Proxmox made this easy by starting from a poor explanation but they have since clarified it quite thoroughly (everything in pie-no-subscription has gone through their full internal tests) and anyone still saying this should not be listened to.

So don't be scared by the name, especially since that is not really the name anyway. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!