There are some doubts about the stability of the new pve-no-subscripton repository so I will explain the current release policy, the development- and build process of Proxmox VE in detail:
- we are committed to 100 % open source: the whole development progress and all source code is always visible on https://git.proxmox.com
- the communication between developers (internal and external) is happening on our mailing list (pve-devel)
- all feedback from our users, from http://forum.proxmox.com or via bug reports via https://bugzilla.proxmox.com is taken into consideration and is moving step by step into the project
- all new code is tested from our core developers and our community developers on their test servers and their test labs
- all new deb packages go to the Proxmox VE test lab for testing and validation. There is no deb package in our repositories without going through these tests.
- after all these this, we upload these debs to the pve-no-subscription repo (history shows that packages are quite stable at this stage)
In short, pve-no-subscription is not a beta or unstable release repository. It is quite stable and well tested software and it is not the replacement of the old beta repo (pvetest). It is a replacement for the pve repository.
And what is the difference to pve-enterprise? Why should you use pve-enterprise for production servers?
The Proxmox VE Enterprise repository is an additional and NEW offering for our commercial subscribers, introduced with 3.1. It contains packages which are from proven quality as they are already in the pve-no-subscription repository, so these packages are additionally tested on thousands of servers worldwide.
- We move packages from pve-no-subscription to pve-enterprise after some time if everything works as expected.
- So basically the new pve-enterprise repository is expected to have less bugs than the pve-no-subscription repository
To summarize, starting with 3.1 we provide additional value by improving the quality. There are NO plans to lower the quality of any repository, instead the opposite is happening.
FAQ regarding pve-no-subscription
I use the pve-no-subscription repo, can I submit bug reports?
Yes, of course. Just provide all details about the bug.
I need help in configuration and setup, where can I get help?
Use the well-known community support channels. Forum and mailing list.
Proxmox VE project leader